V8 swap to 65 dart

-

prrc

Reaction score
I'm looking for a donor motor a trans to swap into a 65 Dart. What works best. What about late model motors? Good or bad? Thanks Tim

Any small block will work. 904's fit better than 727's. The transmission hump is really tight. Schumacher makes the mounts you will need. They are on the web. I will be doing the same thing to my Dart 270, as it is a slant six car.

I'm putting a 360 in my 66 wagon. Haven't gotten the engine built and installed yet, but was planning on using a 727 with it. May have to consider a heavy duty rebuilt 904 if the post above is correct. Or do a little cutting and re-humping the trans tunnel.

I'm trying to get the brake system together. I'm converting it to a dual reservoir 10" brake system. The brakes are done, I just have to figure out the lines and master cylinder. Have the parts now, just have to see how everything fits...

Mine was originally 170 slant 6 with three on the tree.

727 will fit. But it is really tight. I have herd that you need to flatten the pinch weld at the fire wall and tranny tunnel. Both of my 65's have 904's. And even that are tight.

I have a '65 Barracuda with a 318 & 727 installed. Fits ok, but you should install the shift lever on the trans before you put it up in the car...

The bigger issue is the exhaust. The driver's side exhaust manifold for the V8 is unique, and clears the steering box & starter.

B.

A swap to another L/A engine is pretty simple:
Later LA Where the 273 was in a 64 – 66 Mopar a-body

Requires the center pump oil pan. (Not a truck pan)

You can use your current motor mounts if they are in good shape. The Schumachers are probably better but you can just weld a little triangle on the existing right side mount and drill it so it catches the other ear on the 360 block.

You can use a B&M flexplate (10239) to adapt a zero balance torque converter. If you want to use the early converter you will need a spacer as the pilot in the early ones is smaller. You can get that from Torqueflite Patty. 206-365-1966

If you use the earlier iron water pump the stock radiator will work. Use a '65 water pump & your radiator lower hose lines up (360 water pump has lower hose on wrong side). If you use the 273 front cover & timing tab you will have to set TDC & mark the front dampener of the 360.

You will probably have to elongate one of the holes in the crank pulley as the 360 has one hole offset.

You will most likely want to use a 90 deg oil filter adapter.

Tap the air injection holes under the exhaust ports an plug with 1/8” pipe plugs.

Your biggest challenge will be exhaust. 273 manifolds choke up a 360. Headers are expensive. Not much else fits. Search for the discussions......

Modify the transmission crossmember to provide clearance for dual exhaust.

Throttle cable bracket and kickdown linkage will probably require some individual modification to fit the new manifold.

Most everything else will fit from the 273 to the 340 or 360. Easy swap!

Clutch cars require a special flywheel with the counterbalance built in. (unless you zero balance the engine)

To use the larger bellhousing you will need a Z-bar from a a-body and shorten the cross shaft. Use the release lever from a b-body (11-7/8 OAL). Modify bellhousing pivot to relocate the pivot ball.

For a six cyclinder upgrade to 360 it requires a set of different motor mounts.

Dropped center steering link.

Pulleys and alternator brackets from a V-8 (all the same engine so pulleys align)

I've seen some modern engine in the early A's but never done one. Just saw a 5.7 in a Dart GT at a infromal gathering in Houston a couple of weeks ago. Someone with some experience chime in with info on the later model swaps please!

Thanks for the info guys very useful. We are on our way back home from picking it up. 15 hour drive one way but well worth the trip. Can't wait to get started on it. Thanks Tim

-
Back