Vacuum Advance Adjustment Help

-

dusty1

Reaction score
Fellow FABO's, I have a 440 RR and when cruizing down the road, the car flutters and spits and back fires a little. A friend said that the vacuum advance needed adjusted. Sure enough I un hosed the vacuum advance and it was my problem. Which way do you go with the adj screw in the vacuum nozell? Out or in to lessen the vacuum. And is there a procedure to this or just hit and miss? Thanks for any tech talk info.

Do you have a electronic ignition system in the car?What is the intial timing set at,what is the total timing at 2200rpm,what coil are you using,what cam is in the car and the vacumn at idle and in drive,mrmopartech 450 424 0445/514 659 0445

With that many questions I will have to do some checking tomorrow. Might just even call your number you left.

Doesn't the adjustment in the vacuum canister only adjust at how many inches of vacuum it starts to operate.??

If you do not also have a light throttle ping/detonation, you may have a reasonable amount of advance. The problem may be due to distributor phasing. Some of the MP distributors had this problem.

.............The pick up in the dist is usually bad if ur base timing is right....and u have the vacc line off................check with a multi meter, it should read infinity......................kim.....

Doesn't the adjustment in the vacuum canister only adjust at how many inches of vacuum it starts to operate.??

It adjusts the preload on the spring that pushes the arm back to the zero position. So by increasing the preload it increases the amount of vacuum required to start the advance moving and hence the total amount of vacuum required for full stroke. The amount of advance that can be provided is controlled by a mechanical stop on the arm and is stamped on the arm in cam dregrees so you double it for crank degrees.

-
Back