Vacuum advance from Carb

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm trying to determine if my car is currently set up for the best results. I have a 1974 Duster with a 318 from 1968 with electronic ignition and Edelbrock 1405, no emissions. Currently, the vacuum line for the distributor advance is plugged into the right port (timed/ported) of the carb. I've seen where it might be beneficial to move to the left/lower port (full/manifold) side of the carb for non-emissions. I'm a bit perplexed and didn't want to arbitrarily switch it over and mess things up so I thought I would ask the folks that have dealt with this stuff, mainly you all. Share your thoughts and experiences.

v/r
Ron

Usually for a street driven car, you have the best results on the ported vacuum source. Sometimes those with very large cams can benefit from the manifold vacuum source.

if you plan on driving the car on the street (part throttle cruising) keep it on ported (right side), if all you are doing is full-throttle pulls (track) you can play with manifold. Only reason to think about using manifold side for a street driven car is when you have a big cam with huge overlap.

-
Back