vacuum leak i think

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
my engine is really rough, it shakes real bad at idle. I read a thread that talked about vacuum leaks, so i tried it. When i remove the line from the p brake booster, the idle drops and smooths out. Does this mean that the booster is leakinf? I also did this with the vac advance it had a little change, but nothing like the booster. Need some advice on the next steps please.

my engine is really rough, it shakes real bad at idle. I read a thread that talked about vacuum leaks, so i tried it. When i remove the line from the p brake booster, the idle drops and smooths out. Does this mean that the booster is leakinf? I also did this with the vac advance it had a little change, but nothing like the booster. Need some advice on the next steps please.

Yup sounds like you have a busted Booster diaphram.

Yep!! or the line going to the booster or the grommets leaking.

i will order a new 7" booster master cykinder combo from jegs. I am going to do all of the brake pads and shoes also. I need the drum size for shoes, i think i just take the diameter of the drum but i don't know how to ask for pads for the front discs, i don't know what the discs are from. How do i ask for the pads?

oh yeah, is there anything that i should know about ordering booster cylinder combos? I was going to order a 7" dual diaphram with a two resevoir cylinder. What benefits are there with the larger diameter boosters?

oh yeah, is there anything that i should know about ordering booster cylinder combos? I was going to order a 7" dual diaphram with a two resevoir cylinder. What benefits are there with the larger diameter boosters?

Best bet on getting the right brakes is to take a brake shoe and a set of old pads with you to the parts store to match them up. The 7" is what was used on 72 and older A-bodies, in 73 they went to a larger single diaphram. They both work well.

-
Back