vacuum pump question

-

d55dave

Reaction score
My buddy and I are just getting his race car running. He bought it with a hurt engine (yes....it is a camaro with a small block but it is 434 cubic inches and supposed to be somewhere north of 700 horse.

The car has a vacuum pump which currently has no belt on it. The PO said that it was pulling too much oil out of the engine.....perhaps due to the broken rings and lands which have all now been fixed.

The car also has two breathers, one in each valve cover, and the pump pulls out of only one cover. There is an adjustable valve that takes shims to adjust on the pump, and a reservoir to catch any oil it pulls out of the engine.

Does anyone have tips / suggestions on how to set the pump up? Do you normally run breathers with a vacuum pump?

I have never run anything with a vacuum pump before so any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Vacuum pumps require a sealed crankcase pressure so you will not use breathers. The vacuum pump should have an adjuster/relief valve which allows you to dial in how much vacuum will be pulled. If you are getting oil in your pump then you may need to set up a better baffle system. I run a GZ pump on both my big block and small block on street. I pull the vacuum from valve covers and used the baffles that came with GZ set up.

My thought is it either was set at 2 high a vacuum level or wasn't baffles properly.

-
Back