Valiant 7 1/4 differential

-

CdnValiant

1969 451-S
Reaction score
I have pulled apart the original 7 1/4 rear end to change gears from 2.94 to 3.23. I had purchased the 3.23 gears on ebay new for $50. almost two years ago and all looked OK at first, however the pinion end is 7/8 fine thread on the 3.23's as compared to 3/4 fine on the originals. The ring gear bolt holes are 5/16 LH thread compared to 3/8 LH for the originals. I checked against a parts car 7 1/4 from a 69 Barracuda and they are the same as the original Valiant parts. Has anyone else run into this. Are the 3.23 gears possibly from a very different application? I haven't found 5/16 LH ring gears bolts and am not to sure about using them in a differential drilled for 3/8 even if I did find them. Any help would be appreciated. Might have to look for more compatible 3.23 or 3.55's.

Have you considered upgrading to an 8.25 or 8 3/4? 8.25 is plenty strong enough for most mild street motors up to 400hp and parts are readily available at parts stores as well as salvage.

Have you considered upgrading to an 8.25 or 8 3/4? 8.25 is plenty strong enough for most mild street motors up to 400hp and parts are readily available at parts stores as well as salvage.
Thanks for the reply. The car is a 64 Canadian Valiant convertible with a mild original 273 automatic. It is just a cruiser, so I don't push it to hard. My plan was just to add a little with the 3.23's when I bought them so cheap as I had replaced the original 13 inch wheels with 14's.

I've run into this before also. the difference is the year manufactured. 7.25 rears were used into the late eighties in passenger cars. While I do not know the specific year, I believe in the late 70's or early eighties. Prior to that date they were all made one way, after that date they were made another way.

I've run into this before also. the difference is the year manufactured. 7.25 rears were used into the late eighties in passenger cars. While I do not know the specific year, I believe in the late 70's or early eighties. Prior to that date they were all made one way, after that date they were made another way.

Thanks for the replies. I have purchased some 3.55's from a Dakota with a 7 1/4 and with the use of a crush sleeve was able to make the install.
I have a N.O.S.ring gear and pinion it a 3.90 gear for 7 1\4 i would like to use it in mine 63 Valiant where can you get the seal's and other stuff you need to change it.THANKS....

If anyone has the install kit it will be Randy's Ring and pinion.

-
Back