Valiant & Dusters have the same wheel well size ??

-

Reaction score
I've never notice until I got my 68 Valiant that a Duster is just a fast back Valiant like they did with the 64 Cuda. I aways thought Duster was a new design.

Since the lower hind quarter is the same at least it looks it to me. Then it would have the same rear tire size capability ?
And what would that be stock ?
I think I've heard 275 is the biggest.

I've always heard that duster has more room than dart.

The 67-9 Valiant started the evolution into the Duster for 70 and has the same body lines from the door forward and still has a 108 wheelbase and dash like the 67-9 Valiant. I haven't compared the wheel wells between the two but I have had 275/60/15's on one of my 67's before and I have 255/60/15's on the rear of my 67 now with plenty of room. The Dart is 111" wheel base so it is 3" longer.

The 67-9 Valiant started the evolution into the Duster for 70 and has the same body lines from the door forward and still has a 108 wheelbase and dash like the 67-9 Valiant. I haven't compared the wheel wells between the two but I have had 275/60/15's on one of my 67's before and I have 255/60/15's on the rear of my 67 now with plenty of room. The Dart is 111" wheel base so it is 3" longer.

Thanks I want to put a little more out back especially once I get my gears. Right now it's got 245 60r 15.

If you look at the lower half of your hind quarter it's the same as Duster.

Yep,that's why you can use lower 1/4 patches and trunk floor ext's from a Duster.

Nope. Duster's and the hardtop or post valiant's do not have the same wheel well size. Your '68 has the same size wheel tubs as a '68 Dart. You won't fit a 275 under there without a 1/2" spring offset. The early valiants do have a higher wheel opening on the quarter, so, you may get away with a little more tire than an equivalent Dart, but it's not much. 245's are about as wide as you can go on most of those cars. On some you can get a 255 but the backspace will have to be dead on.

Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports and Barracuda's do have more room in the rear wheel tubs than the Dart's and Valiants. The Duster/Demon/Dart Sport body style, as well as the Barracuda's, can fit 275's with the stock spring locations.

Nope. Duster's and the hardtop or post valiant's do not have the same wheel well size. Your '68 has the same size wheel tubs as a '68 Dart. You won't fit a 275 under there without a 1/2" spring offset. The early valiants do have a higher wheel opening on the quarter, so, you may get away with a little more tire than an equivalent Dart, but it's not much. 245's are about as wide as you can go on most of those cars. On some you can get a 255 but the backspace will have to be dead on.

Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports and Barracuda's do have more room in the rear wheel tubs than the Dart's and Valiants. The Duster/Demon/Dart Sport body style, as well as the Barracuda's, can fit 275's with the stock spring locations.

Seems your right, All A Bodies seem to take the same inside tub but dart and valiants take a different outside. Even though duster and valiant look similar if you look at two pics side by side you can tell there different, duster opening goes higher.

I don't want to mini tub so looks like I need an offset kit.

-
Back