Valiant Got Some Tweaks

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
I've had the turboed EFI setup running and driving for almost a year now, and have enjoyed the heck out of it. I've put probably 2500 trouble free miles on it, driving it around Phoenix and our round trip to Vegas for Mopars at the strip. It's been excellent. Only thing is the cooling system just wasn't performing to my expectations. Wasn't over heating technically, but would run 210 climbing hills under boost. I decided to upgrade the radiator to a triple pass style and also a nice set of Derale 3750 cfm fans. Also, I was itching for more power! Not that it's a slouch by any means, but the hot rodder in me was itching for more lol. I decided to swap out the Gt35 in favor for a T4 flanged 78/75 along with a Edelbrock hat and 92mm throttle body. Took a lot of "modification" to make it all work but it will be way worth it in the end! A water/meth kit is next to go on. Any other guys here running a turboed EFI setup? I just fired her up last night since the swap and really only took a little tweaking of the throttle blade to get her to idle again. I need to finish up the upper rad mount, and intercooler piping.

20160501_125434.jpg

Last edited:
Man that's one awesome looking set up you have. I would love to learn more about your set up, unless it's top secret?????? Lol

Man that's one awesome looking set up you have. I would love to learn more about your set up, unless it's top secret?????? Lol
Thanks man. Nothing top secret here lol. Started with a 2000 model 360 magnum. Pulled the junk stock heads in favor for a set of EQ's and installed a set of ARP head studs and a good set of FelPro head gaskets. Swapped out the cam for a Hughes piece, and installed a new chain and lifters. Installed a Hughes dual plane intake and at the time I installed a Hughes ported throttle body. For the turbo setup I used the stock Durango exhaust manifolds and turned them around out front and custom built a Y pipe to the turbo. First setup I used a smaller Gt35. It spooled nice and quick, but lacked on the top end. This round I ditched the restrictive throttle body and turbo for a larger setup. Its back up and running again, but needs a few things wrapped up. I need to send my tuner a data log since I've changed quite a few things, but it shouldn't take him much time to dial it in again.

Last edited:
Wouldnt pulling air from outside the engine bay be better for cooling?
You are definitely correct. The filter will be stuck thru the inner fender. I planned on doing that exact thing, just haven't gotten there yet lol. Already have the 4 inch elbow.

that tape isn't going to hold.. :poke: - - what, no fender covers!? wiper washer works better with fluid in it.. jeeez man, what ARE you doing!? :D LOL - - other than that, it's lookin' and sounding good-- time slips comin'?

Nice setup,itching too see times.
Thank you. Yea I cant wait to take it to the track.
that tape isn't going to hold.. :poke: - - what, no fender covers!? wiper washer works better with fluid in it.. jeeez man, what ARE you doing!? :D LOL - - other than that, it's lookin' and sounding good-- time slips comin'?
That's 200 mile an hour painters tape! ***** good. Still wrapping some things up, and yea no fender covers. I work on it in my birthday suit as to not scratch it lol. Time slips will come, and I will do a video as well at some point.

Are you running a factory pcm w a FRP flash? Thats a pretty cool looking air hat, is that a MAF bolted to inlet? I didnt see MAP on TB so I figured you might have converted to speed density system. Nice work. Are you running EQ's with 1.92's or did you go larger?

Are you running a factory pcm w a FRP flash? Thats a pretty cool looking air hat, is that a MAF bolted to inlet? I didnt see MAP on TB so I figured you might have converted to speed density system. Nice work. Are you running EQ's with 1.92's or did you go larger?
Thanks man. Yep stock computer with Ryans magic making it all happen. The air hat is from Edelbrock and is setup to use a 95mm ls style or ford style throttle body. I went with a 92mm. Still using a 2 bar MAP which is mounted to the front of the intake manifold. Kinda hard to see in the pic. I used out of the box EQ's with the standard sized valves. Being a boosted application I felt those would sufficient enough to make the kind of power I was after.

I should have spotted lack of throttle shaft below air hat. Guessing that is just a big spacer under it? So does it run Mopar TPS and IAC or GM style?

I should have spotted lack of throttle shaft below air hat. Guessing that is just a big spacer under it? So does it run Mopar TPS and IAC or GM style?
Yea. Under the hat I had to run a one inch spacer to clear the fuel rails. I used the gm iAC and TPS that bolt to the ls throttle body. What I thought was funny is that the IAC connectors are identical, just had to lengthen the wires a bit.

Yea. Under the hat I had to run a one inch spacer to clear the fuel rails. I used the gm iAC and TPS that bolt to the ls throttle body. What I thought was funny is that the IAC connectors are identical, just had to lengthen the wires a bit.

I knew the connector is the same, just surprised they are compatible, always heard they were not. cool to know. Did you have issues with Dodge TB's or was it more of a hood clearance thing?

I knew the connector is the same, just surprised they are compatible, always heard they were not. cool to know. Did you have issues with Dodge TB's or was it more of a hood clearance thing?
Really just wanted more cfm to go along with the larger turbo. The ported stock tb just seemed like to much of a bottle neck. From what I have heard the Hughes big mouth tb actually only flows about 750 cfm where as the 92mm ls tb flows about 1200 cfm.

Took a short video of the car yesterday. Finally got the time to wrap up a few things. Still need to finish up the upper radiator mount and modify the hood latch support so I can reinstall the grill, but otherwise it's done.

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side :poke:

Sounds wicked fun....Really nice clean work & I bet it's a fast kick in the pants!!

Thank you C! I took it out yesterday for a couple of hot laps around the block and she's running well. Currently have the 5 psi spring in the waste gate but even at 5 pounds it pulls hard! Had to do a low boost data log for Ryan who is tuning the car. Once its bumped back up to 14-15 psi then we will really see some power.

-
Back