Valiant surgery 2. Before I cut

-

olskoolkool

New skool Valiant
Reaction score
Okay guys, I am just going over all of my options here. I was wondering if anyone has trimmed the rear 1/4 of their valiant like the hemi Darts.

The more I think of swapping my 1/4's for dusters, the harder I think it's going to be. ( haven't ruled it out though ). I have always wanted a car like my Fathers, but my valiant is as close as I could find. Now I love the look of his car, and was wondering if anyone has done something similar. Or even trimmed a Dart. I just need somepictures or info on how you modified your wheel well.

I found this one the internet. Yes it is trimmed, but a little too much for my taste.

This is what I have to work with

Thanks guys

ZAXQ1ZNWZYXU648REN.jpg

0807101248.jpg

0809101307.jpg

0809101310.jpg

0809101310a.jpg

Wow, interesting idea.

If you are going to do this, I would recommend that you purchase a set of steel wheel tubs from Summitt or Jegs. You would then completely cut out your existing wheel tubs (to the point they are welded to the fender). You should also do the Spring Relocation at the same time...you are half way there anyway. Then you would cut the fender to the shape you want it...then you would finally weld in the tub to close off the inside of the wheel well to the fender.

You are talking about a LOT of work to match the cut out you marked on the fender in your pic. You will need to be intimate with your tape measure, your grinder and your welder... 8)

If you go this route, take lots of pics.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Would you say it might be easier to go with the full tub as apposed to the mini tub? ( I've read your thread on your dart, and from what I can see you did an awsome job). I had the thought of either mini, or larger tub and cutting it down. I really would like to go straight to the body with the tub and make all of my outer wheel opening sheet metal. the only difference is I would like my tires to stick outside the body a little bit. Other than that the wider the better.

I just need for my ss/ springs to get here, and my 8 3/4 to get back. THEN I'll know what I have to do.

Thanks for the Info!!!

Would you say it might be easier to go with the full tub as apposed to the mini tub? ( I've read your thread on your dart, and from what I can see you did an awsome job). I had the thought of either mini, or larger tub and cutting it down. I really would like to go straight to the body with the tub and make all of my outer wheel opening sheet metal. the only difference is I would like my tires to stick outside the body a little bit. Other than that the wider the better.

I think you will be MUCH happier with doing the full tub because your fender cuts may be higher/lower than the profile of the original tub. You will have to make patch panels that make up the difference. If you go with a full tub, you will have to be careful in mocking it up, but I think you would be looking at much less work overall, and probably a better fit. Lastly, a full tub would give you more room for a tire closer to the frame rail. Your existing tub (like mine) tapers away from the frame rail as it gets higher up the tub. A full steel tub will be 90 degrees (or real close) to the floor and will give you the maximum width for a tire.

I hope this helps. Sounds like a fun project.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Okay If I was to do a full tub These are the parts that scare the hell out of me. I see that it can be done but this is getting into places I've never gone before.

Thanks to Moparisbest for the photos of his build. and I cannot remember who the full tub is. I think it is Dadart.

Yea, I completely understand the intimidation factor.

In my opinion (please confirm), I do not think you have the support brackets circled in the first and second photo. Even if you do, I doubt you will get all the way up into them with your cutting. True, you will need to drill out the spot welds, but you can probably leave all of the bracketry, and then trim them down so they fit exactly to the new tub.

This was why I joked about becoming intimate with your tape measure, your grinder and welder.

The reason i suggest the full tub is that you will be time ahead by starting this way. You have to do a lot of measuring to the tub to make it fit perfectly, but I still think that is the easiest way to do the job you are proposing. There is no doubt in my mind that you can make it work with the inside of your factory wheel tub, but I think it will be cleaner and more functional with the method I am describing.

Like I mentioned before, this sounds like fun. It is much more involved than my project, but sounds fun.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

You know the sad thing is all I wanted to do was put bigger tires on my car. Now I kicking my self thinking this is crazy! But I will not let this one get to me. When I made my first chopper I was scared to death of the first cut and the first weld. Like you said, just gatta mesure 5 million times and cut once. I know if you guys can do it, I can. And if I crash and burn there will be lots of photos.

Just seeing Moparisbest car's insides made me think of those surgery shows like "when boob jobs go bad". Weird stuff man.

Hey I have an uncle in Glendale. Nice guy, but he likes chevys. I was out there November of 07. When I left here it was 17* when I got to san diego the capitan said it was a cool 76. I hate you guys and your awsome weather.

bill the owner of big block dart sell's the hemi dart template's I'm using them to cut my 2dart post up... i've marked it all out just haven't got the plasma out yet.

bill the owner of big block dart sell's the hemi dart template's I'm using them to cut my 2dart post up... i've marked it all out just haven't got the plasma out yet.

Oh MY GOD!!!! That is what I've been looking for! Thank you so much! It's just an idea for now, but with that, it'll tell me just what I want to know. And for $12.00!!!! Man you just made my day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

no problem, glad i was able to help someone out!

also if your looking into using any more of the hemi dart tricks you might want to pick up the 68 hemi dart and barracuda authenticity guide, has tons of information in it.

Bob, Good luck with this build!! I've always wanted to cut-out my rear quarters for that SS look, but it is a big job and may not look "right" on my wrong-year Dart. Please take lots of pics!! The more you do to it, the more you OWN it!

I will do my best. After freightdriver told me about those templates I had to order one. I'm really going for the late 60's early 70's drag car look, and to me the cut out rear is looking to be alot eaiser and maybe better looking. I dont know if I'm going to go with the tub though. I was looking at the underside of my fathers car the other day and to tell the truth, I may be able to get away with just the trim. With 295/65-15 on 15 x 8.50 with 3.313 B.S. he has about 2+ inches from touching his spring. If he where to put 3/4 shackles on he could come in even more.( with different wheels). This seems to be the road I would like to go down for now. If I can get my valiant to look like his car with the same tire and just a tiny bit futher inside than his I'll be happy. When the day comes I'll start cuttin and takin photos.

4flats, If mine looks good when I'm done, I hope to see yours rockin the cut-outs too.

thanks guys.

Might as well show me racing too. I know it's not a A body. or even a mopar. or even american. but it was fun. 11.28 @ 121 mph. .002 RT.

For sale if anyone wants it.

-
Back