Value and VIN location on 73 Duster with fold down rear seat

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello all,
I know VIN’s have been discussed and I’ve searched the topics. I’ve seen that the VIN’s for Dusters can be found on the Rad support and the rear speaker deck shelf, driver’s side. I’m going to look at a 1973 duster that has the fold down rear seat and from what I’ve read this might change the location of the VIN in the trunk area. I want to be very careful because the vehicle is a 73 and has been switched over to a 71 front clip and tail light section, want to make sure the VIN wasn’t just tagged on the dash for a 73 title. Not to sound stupid but just how challenging is it to get into position to see the VIN in the trunk area? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, if the car was a 73 and restored to look like a 70 or 71 how do you feel this would affect value. I’m not looking for numbers matching and know I should not expect to pay numbers matching prices. Looks like it was a slant6 or 318 car switched to 340. Don’t beat me up, condition is everything and can be subjective. This car looks very clean on the exterior and only minor blemishes on the original interior. Please share your opinions.
Duster_71

You will probably have to crawl in the trunk and look up at the VIN from the bottom side. Without pictures and more information there's no good way to put a value on it.

Unless someone did some serious work to a 70-72 car, putting a fold down rear seat in a car with all the factory components is a chore.

My guess is it is a 73+ car.

Unless someone did some serious work to a 70-72 car, putting a fold down rear seat in a car with all the factory components is a chore.

My guess is it is a 73+ car.

Thanks crackedback, sounds logical, do you know if the VIN near the rear speaker deck shelf would still be in the same spot with a rear folding seat?

do you know if the VIN near the rear speaker deck shelf would still be in the same spot with a rear folding seat?

The vin should be stamped somewhere near the drivers side speaker hole regardless of having fold down seat or not, you'll have to remove the cardboard package tray cover to see the number, it's usually not deep enough to see from underneath. Your probably going to come across a number/letter combo that is embossed into the panel, this is just a part number used for that piece of sheet metal as the body is being assembled. The VIN stamping wont have raised letters/numbers.

The vin should be stamped somewhere near the drivers side speaker hole regardless of having fold down seat or not, you'll have to remove the cardboard package tray cover to see the number, it's usually not deep enough to see from underneath. Your probably going to come across a number/letter combo that is embossed into the panel, this is just a part number used for that piece of sheet metal as the body is being assembled. The VIN stamping wont have raised letters/numbers.

Fold down back seat cars don't have provisions for speakers like a non fold down back seat car....
It is located on the driver side of the package tray and should be able to see from underneath (I could on my dart and non fold down backseat duster) but if not you will have to remove 2 trim buttons on both sides of the top of the tray cover. Then you can remove the cover and look underneath it on the driver side.

-
Back