Value of a clean modded '72 Duster?

-

MattP

Reaction score
Long story short I put too much money in my last project and while it was fun I'd rather not do the same with the Duster.

I've been looking around at for sale ads trying to figure out value the car might have, but I'm not seeing much to compare it to. The cars either seem to be rusted out projects or immaculate rotisserie cars.

I'd like to spec the car and go through the planned mods and see what you guys think the finished car might be worth.

Original 318, factory air, 2bbl, auto with a bench seat and column shifter. It has bright Viper Blue paint, but whoever did the body work didn't bother getting the waves out. There are 2 minor rust spots, but no cancer. A few bubbles under the paint behind the passenger rear tire and a little rust under the paint in the drip edge. With the recent detail the car looks good, but obviously could benefit from a repaint w/blocking.

Body-
-New Chrome Bumpers, mirrors, door pulls, ..any other chrome on the exterior.

Suspension- New bushings/ whatever else is needed to get rid of the slop and have a tighter handling vehicle. Possible up to including the Hotchkis system.

Wheels- The pizza cutter are going away and will be replaced with stock Mustang torque style wheels and new rubber.
It "may" end up with a set of Weld RTS wheels on it at some point.

Interior- Sound deadening will be added with new black carpet. All panels will be freshened. "scuffs on kick panels repaired, faded fabric on headliner around rear window replaced.

Instrument panel will be freshened up. Won't be a factory resto. More likely an aftermarket cluster with new Autometer gauges. "Speedo/Tach and other appropriate gauges".

The column shifter will be relocated to the floor via a B&M style shifter. Possibly reverse manual valve body.

Powertrain- The 318 will remain but will receive a blow through carb with a single 76mm turbo. Tuned the car should make ~500 to the wheels on pump gas.

The 727 will receive the appropriate mods to support that power and the rear chunk will be swapped for a posi unit since one wheel peel isn't going to cut it.

If I end up driving the car on longer trips like the last project a gear venders / other strong OD option will make it's way in the car.

If I keep the car a little longer than planned and feel I can get most of my money back I'll have it painted. At that point the body will be straight, rust problems noted above taken care of and may possibly go back to the factory color. Maybe not.

So what do y'all think the car would bring once these mods are complete?

What about after a repaint?

With a built motor and more boost?

8EB0E8C5-B0F1-4F48-863D-4E8EFF6C40D0-496-0000005A24C2144F.jpg

3E29FEC0-FF8B-4BB8-911D-F9F9949E4F94-953-0000014C95E02D8E.jpg

unfortunately about half of what you invest. You will hardly ever see an A body advertised for more then 20K

I was thinking more of the 12K to 15K range.

If it went through paint I'd bump the price to 15k to 18k.

I can see it just touching 20k with the Weld RTS wheels added on to paint/body.

Is this reasonable?

I think 12-15K with everything done if you find the right buyer. Modded classic cars are harder to sell then stock. I think if its a really clean car 10K would be about right. Unfortunately you will get to a point were upgrades arent going to add value as much. At least thats my opinion.

Heres a clean 72 that sold advertised at $19,500. Original 340 car slightly modded. Im sure he got less then his asking price.
http://www.cars-on-line.com/49585.html

Heres a clean but stock 71, 318 car for $4500
http://www.cars-on-line.com/59276.html

Prices are all over the place now.

Sounds like body work and paint are out then. It's good enough and will be the most expensive thing.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like this one needs to stay in the 10-12k range. That gives me a good idea of a budget and what can and can't be done.

I wish they were worth more...I will have north of $20K in mine by the time I am finished.

Paul

Sounds like body work and paint are out then. It's good enough and will be the most expensive thing.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like this one needs to stay in the 10-12k range. That gives me a good idea of a budget and what can and can't be done.

Matt,
As one that has resto'd many a 70-72 Duster, if I wanted max bucks out of it, I didn't even look at the 225/318's. I looked for and aquired a real no bologna "H" code "A" body. That's where the money is. Unfortunately, their are not many around and if you locate one, it's already been resto'd and garner's 15-24K depending upon options,color,etc. For your's, I would agree around 9-12K after your mod's....john

Matt,
As one that has resto'd many a 70-72 Duster, if I wanted max bucks out of it, I didn't even look at the 225/318's. I looked for and aquired a real no bologna "H" code "A" body. That's where the money is. Unfortunately, their are not many around and if you locate one, it's already been resto'd and garner's 15-24K depending upon options,color,etc. For your's, I would agree around 9-12K after your mod's....john

Thanks Zak. That kind of info is what I was looking for. It gives me an idea of what will and won't be done on this car to keep it around the 10k mark. I feel I got a pretty decent deal on the car at purchase so I have a little room to improve it.

-
Back