Value of an A-833 O.D?

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
What you guys figure thier worth nowadays? I know someone with a few,probably all cast iron.

Just really curious.

I'm thinking maybe 200 bucks working condition? not sure if there is a demand for these things.

FWIW i have one and plan on using it at least for a little while.

Depends on condition and what they fit- truck ones, well...not much around here. F,M, J and A-bodies $200 is about right (in working order, of course)

Umm whats FWIW mean? lol,

I doubt there working,probably cores.

Ahh thanks. So what identifiers should I look for in order to get a unit that will fit my 70Dart Swinger? He says all his are alum except for one that is a cast B body unit,and he cant seem to tell if theres an difference betwen them. He's not really a mopar guy but knows what he has.

If they do not come with the shifter linkage they are wothless
as they take special linkage.Also they have large retainer ring
so you will need to find the proper bellhousing or change the retainer
ring.The aluminum one is not as strong but just fine look for a short
tailshaft which all aluminum i believe are short tailshafts.There is a lot
of stuff to consider when doing this OD tranny.I've seen complete good
ones go for 5-6 hundred ballpark 2-3 hundred

There are three kinds. Aluminum case and aluminum tail shaft. Iron case and Aluminum tail shaft. Iron case and iron tail shaft. You really want one with an iron case. The counter shaft had a tendency to gall the aluminum case since it spins in OD all the time and the aluminum cases weren't bushed. The iron cases don't exhibit this problem. I wouldn't use an aluminum case trans without disassembling it and having the case bushed, that's why I recommend finding the iron case, because it's a lot of labor and money if you don't know how to do it. The iron case and iron tail shaft was a one year only transmission. 1976. All of the stock ones are strong enough to hold a stock 340 I imagine, but much more than that and you need to look for upgrades. Passon Performance sells everything to make them hold up to most anything.

If they do not come with the shifter linkage they are wothless
as they take special linkage.Also they have large retainer ring
so you will need to find the proper bellhousing or change the retainer
ring.The aluminum one is not as strong but just fine look for a short
tailshaft which all aluminum i believe are short tailshafts.There is a lot
of stuff to consider when doing this OD tranny.I've seen complete good
ones go for 5-6 hundred ballpark 2-3 hundred

Really? You better tell that to mine, because I bought some Hurst A833 linkage and it works just fine.

I rebilt and sold an Iron case, Iron tail shaft to a member here.
Everything was fresh, bearings, syco's etc. it was like a new tranny never run for $800.

As far as the shift linkage.
If you have factory rods, all you have to do is lenghten the 3-4 rod in the thread area, and flip the attachment point.
If you do it right the rod will work on an od and non-od trans.

A used trans, worth about $200.00 if it is for an A body.
Truck trans, I would not pay $100.

My shift rods had plenty of threaded adjustment so I didn't have to do anything other than turn the adjuster.

Thanks for the info guys. He does have one iron case unit,dont know what tailshaft.

I guess a truck trans would have a long tailshaft?

Hey Rob, I've been drooling over passons hemi o.d gearset,but man is it pricey!

Im considering fitting an 833 o.d behind my 451,as I feel the highways out here kinda dictate some sort of o.d unit be used.Sounds like an alum unit wont hold up without major mods.

This guys bottom line is $250 for an o.d trans,which I guess aint bad if I can get what I need.

I paid 50 bucks for mine and it's iron case and iron tail shaft and looks like new on the inside. THANKS SHELDON!!!! Paul, it'll hold up behind your 451, but you'll need to drive it very carefully. If I were you and wandet an OD I'd just bite off a 518 and be done with it. You'll need an adapter plate, but big whoop.

K rob I believe you! I aint gonna be gentle when my Dart finally hits the track,so I guess the 833 o.d is off the list.

You can do it and make it live......but it will cost as much or more than the 518 swap. As you pointed out, the Passon stuff is high dollar. But it's also very high quality.

I do have a 727 Rob and was planning opn using it. I might still use it and save up for several centuries for a gv o.d unit..or go shopping for a 518.

Yep thats why Passon came out with the o.d hemi gear set. Improved ratio's basically converts the tranny to a 3 speed with .080 ratio o.d with much better gear ration splits. They want $1700 though. Theres just a bit of price gouging going on there...

-
Back