Valve adjustment almost a catastrophy...

-

one bad 440

Reaction score
So here I am having a couple beers adjusting my valves at home, taking my time as I had nothing else to do on the rainy day it was, typically I would have brought it to my shop and did it there. I got the left bank done, cover back on and all and just got done setting adjustment on the right bank, so I had my valve cover in a rag locked in my vice scraping off the Right Stuff that I use to seal the gasket, you know how well those mopar chrome tin covers seal... and if you ever used right stuff you know how easily it comes off... right!!!! Now my back is turned to the car and I am cleaning away with a razor scraper, just about 3 feet in front of the car because I have limited space in my garage at home, and all of the sudden the razor breaks and flys over my shoulder and goes ting ting ting... oh boy... so I turn around and get down on my hands and knees and for the next 20 min. I scower the floor to no avail and the whole time I am fearing the worst and with my luck I figure it went straight into the open valve cover area and is lodged somewhere that I wont find untill I am about to shift into 2nd gear at 7000... well it took another 20 min of beating myself up and bending at every conceivable angle to look into around and under things and this shiny object catchs my eye, THERE IT IS !!!!!!! Right on top of the right front frame rail. Damn was I lucky, and believe me my luck never goes that way! After countless numbers of valve covers that I have cleaned thru the years to have this happen to my own car was just the way things go for me... Next time you can bet I will throw a blanket over the engine before I do any cleaning of the covers.

Attachments

• 037 (640x480).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 036 resized (640x480).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 205
Just yet another reason to cover your engine when working on it.

Eeeek, close call! Had similar thing happen back in the mid 80's. Was working on a guy's rare 67 vette with original 435 horse triple carb. Shot something out of the vise, tink, tank, thump across the garage, forgot what it was. Valve covers were off and distributor was out. Looked for an hour or more. It went down the dist. hole and was laying at the bottom of the oil pan.

-
Back