Valve Adjustment question

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
How often should I have this done? I've got a Hi-PO'd 318 with a special grind Chrysler only cam profile with very aggressive lobes.

My specs are .018 for the intake, and .021 for the exhaust.

I've got 4500 on the rebuilt engine, and haven't had it done in some time. What are some of the dangers of NOT having the adjustment done?

well they get noisy... can mushroom the tip of the valve...

but if you have locking adjusters once or twice a yr depending on racing or not...

factory stuff depends on wether its tight or not... had a set that would stay in adjustment for an hr, others go 6 months...

Thank you. I'm having it done next week. Basically nothings factory under the hood. I've got oversized 340 heads(edlebrock preform RPM,), keith black pistons, SO much more. She cranks out about 420-430 HP. And does a 1/4 mile in about 11's flat. I basically use it for a daily driver(although I haven't driven the Duster as much as it should be. And I've only raced a few times. She's sure built for it though haha.

Well how many miles since you checked it last. Lets say it's been 3000, check it now and if everything is still within .002 plus or minus of your target clearance then check it again in another 3000-4000. Dangers, if the clearances are closing up because the valve head is pounding into the seat then you risk the valve being held open and you'll burn a valve. If the clearances are opening up because of rocker wear or valve tip wear then she'll get noizey and eventually kick out a push rod and lifter.

Thank you. I'm having it done next week. Basically nothings factory under the hood. I've got oversized 340 heads(edlebrock preform RPM,), keith black pistons, SO much more. She cranks out about 420-430 HP. And does a 1/4 mile in about 11's flat. I basically use it for a daily driver(although I haven't driven the Duster as much as it should be. And I've only raced a few times. She's sure built for it though haha.

with all that you still didn't answer my question... all that matters with this would be your rocker arm adjusters... they are the only thing that will loosen, or tighten, casuing issues...

Well how many miles since you checked it last. Lets say it's been 3000, check it now and if everything is still within .002 plus or minus of your target clearance then check it again in another 3000-4000. Dangers, if the clearances are closing up because the valve head is pounding into the seat then you risk the valve being held open and you'll burn a valve. If the clearances are opening up because of rocker wear or valve tip wear then she'll get noizey and eventually kick out a push rod and lifter.

good call on the tighten up... mine always get looser... seems weird for them to get tighter unless a valve was sinking...

-
Back