Valve bodies w/PTKD interchange ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Question : Will all valve bodies with PTKD interchange into small block 727's ? What years (up to ?) will work ? Slant six? or 904/998 ? What about dodge van 1987 ?(there is one locally). Just need some input from someone who might know. My trans is 1964-1967. Built before the pan rail date codes were used. It's DOES NOT have an internal shifter cable. I do not mind changing the NSS over to the 3 pin type (mine has single post).

Last edited:
Most but not all valve bodies will interchange between 904's and 727's. Some trans are lockup and some aren't and they don't interchange. You can also run into the issue of one mounting bolt not lining up when switching between 904's and 727's. I thought all 64's were cable operated? If your just looking to add PTKD why don't you just order a PTKD add on kit from A&A so you don't have to swap the VB?

Most but not all valve bodies will interchange between 904's and 727's. Some trans are lockup and some aren't and they don't interchange. You can also run into the issue of one mounting bolt not lining up when switching between 904's and 727's. I thought all 64's were cable operated? If your just looking to add PTKD why don't you just order a PTKD add on kit from A&A so you don't have to swap the VB?
You are correct about 64's having an internal cable for gear selection..except for trucks. The trucks had shifter on the dash. A cable was used from the shifter -to the tranny_ on top of the tranny were the more modern two lever arms (one for gear selection/ one for kick down..like most 67&up mopars use) So the truck were the first not to have internal gear selection cables.
And from what I've found out the early VB's do not have the correct porting for the PTKD kit. But I will check with A&A.

I have an old truck dash-mount shifter from a motorhome w/a /6 of unknown vintage. But it was already a defunct unit when I acquired it in '83, if I knew then what I know now....
I'd have gotten that trans out of there!

You are correct about 64's having an internal cable for gear selection..except for trucks. The trucks had shifter on the dash. A cable was used from the shifter -to the tranny_ on top of the tranny were the more modern two lever arms (one for gear selection/ one for kick down..like most 67&up mopars use) So the truck were the first not to have internal gear selection cables.
And from what I've found out the early VB's do not have the correct porting for the PTKD kit. But I will check with A&A.
Ok. I know 66 and later units very well but not real very familiar with the earlier units. If A&A tells you the PTKD kit won't work finding a good used 727 VB shouldn't be a big issue. I might even have a good one out in the parts bin. Shoot me a pm if you'd like me to look

-
Back