valve cover bolts to short

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Almost ready to install my Mickey/Thompson valve that ChudaChick powered coated for me.Ran into a snag:( my old steel stamp covers witch are thin to begin with,the bolts are to short for the new covers,they barley poke through. any one know what size will work,there are stock heads.Thanksssssss.

I like to use allen-head studs & tall wing nuts. Or you could just use regular nuts & washers if you don't remove/replace them often. Studs help with gasket alignment also.

Almost ready to install my Mickey/Thompson valve that ChudaChick powered coated for me.Ran into a snag:( my old steel stamp covers witch are thin to begin with,the bolts are to short for the new covers,they barley poke through. any one know what size will work,there are stock heads.Thanksssssss.

If you have a bolt stretcher, you should be able to stretch them so that they will work. :evil4:

I appreciate this forum and all the help it offers but really.... We are talking about a bolt that is a little short.

Grab one of your bolts, head to the hardware store, find something that is a little longer, something you like, and something that will work.

If you aren't sure about thread size, find a nut at the hardware store that will thread on your existing bolt, if that same nut threads onto the bolt you want, you know you are good to go.

If you have a bolt stretcher, you should be able to stretch them so that they will work. :evil4:

Just keep in mind that a bolt strecher will only strech a bolt to 7/9ths past its original length... too many people try to strech them to 11/15ths beyond the original length and this usually causes the bolt to snap and they get mad and throw out a perfectly good bolt streching tool thinking it was the tools fault...:snakeman:

But remember though if you're running ceramic coated headers, the valve cover hardware needs to be stainless in order not to stain the headers.

I appreciate this forum and all the help it offers but really.... We are talking about a bolt that is a little short.

Grab one of your bolts, head to the hardware store, find something that is a little longer, something you like, and something that will work.

If you aren't sure about thread size, find a nut at the hardware store that will thread on your existing bolt, if that same nut threads onto the bolt you want, you know you are good to go.

o come on now that to simple :wack:

lmao krazykuda if I stretch it any further yes going to die. :eek:ccasion:

No, no, no..... We don't want any more strokes here.... :eek:ops:

Go in, have a pop and relax. :eek:ccasion:

The bolts will come in time, Grasshopper..... :mrgreen:

Well this trip to the part store did not go well today lol i got the bolts spent time painting the bolts and washers only come to find that bolt has a shoulder on them .Sure felt tight but the washer would spin that tell me it going to leak.

Just keep in mind that a bolt strecher will only strech a bolt to 7/9ths past its original length... too many people try to strech them to 11/15ths beyond the original length and this usually causes the bolt to snap and they get mad and throw out a perfectly good bolt streching tool thinking it was the tools fault...:snakeman:

5/4ths of people don't understand fractions. :)

Any decent bolt place should get you set up for under $15

I here ya,with only grade 8 education you can tell, the first bolt did not have threads all the way to the top,hence the machine shoulder,now I just got the right bolt with threads all the way to the top,just painted them happy now.

Hardware store trip worked for me too....little paint and all good...also needed a thicker gasket.

Attachments

• 68dart.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 305
ChudaChick????????? LMFAO!!!!!!!!! Hey, I suppose I've probably been called worse ...... :-D

Don, I have to say out of a few hundred valve cover restoration jobs over the years, I don't think I've ever seen ANYBODY have so much trouble installing them as you have between the gaskets, grommets and bolts. If they leak I think I'M gonna be the one who has a stroke after all this.

-
Back