Valve cover clearance with Hughes roller rockers

-

07raptorgytr

Reaction score
I did a little bit of searching with no avail.
I currently installed a set of Hughes roller rockers on my 392 build. Went to set my cheap stamped steel valve covers on just to cover up things while it is in storage, and found out that they do not fit over the rockers.
Does anyone know what valve covers fit over the Hughes Rocker assembly with edelbrock rpm heads? I would much rather have a set of Mopar performance cast covers, but do not want to source and purchase and find out they do not fit.

Thanks in advance

I use the Mopar Performance with Promaxx heads and Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio rollers... no interference issues at all. 360LA.
20220727_110626.jpg

20220727_121250.jpg

Running factory stock valve covers with Hughes rockers on my motor. Had to run a thicker gasket underneath to get some extra clearance. But as stated above, they do make valve cover spacers in different thicknesses if you need more clearance. Depends on what covers you choose to use I guess.

I ran Hughes 1.6 rockers with Edelbrock heads with factory 340 valve covers and had to hammer the baffles for clearance. Fel Pro makes a double cork gasket with a piece of sheet metal sandwiched between, I have a set in the shop if you need the p/n.

I ran Hughes 1.6 rockers with Edelbrock heads with factory 340 valve covers and had to hammer the baffles for clearance. Fel Pro makes a double cork gasket with a piece of sheet metal sandwiched between, I have a set in the shop if you need the p/n.
Yeah if you do not mind getting me a part number for the gasket, Thanks..

FWIW, I did not have rocker clearance issues with the cast MP valve covers but used thicker gaskets so I would not have to file the cover at the intake runner. I tried the Moreso formed rubber blue gaskets first, could not get them to seal properly. Then used those Fel Pro double stacked, see comparison below. I had to really tighten the double stacked more than I thought was necessary to keep oil from seeping between the stacked cork gaskets. But they did eventually seal up. YMMV.

20220728_082707.jpg

20220728_093250.jpg

20220728_093351.jpg

I have the MP 1.7 roller rockers in an otherwise stock 360 mag in my wife's Durango. I was hearing they'd clear then hearing they wouldn't, depended on who I asked including the guy who I got the roller rockers from. He'd said he hammered the baffles in on factory valve covers when he had those roller rockers on his.
I found a guy on ebay selling billet spacers in varying thicknesses and I didn't want to d*ck around experimenting, so I just went ahead and got a set of them. I had to run 2 valve cover gaskets per side (one above and the other under the spacer) but no problems. Who knows the double valve cover gaskets might have been enough.,...
I'm running the stock original cam. The spacers were ~1/2 the cost of the MP aluminum valve covers which are "definitely" supposed to clear without issue.
The guy's name is medice manufacturing out of PA.
When I got these he had them in1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and I believe 1" thickness for many common engines. I went with 3/8* spacers.

(I'd gotten those 1.7 roller rockers for free from a buddy when he had "reconfigured" his build, so I thought I'd try them) I don't think I'd have paid the $600 for a set of them new which was the going price from MP at the time) but it did make a little bit of difference in "get up and go"/// enough to notice at the time, but nothing "earth shattering".

-
Back