Valve cover gaskets

-

Originalowner73 340duster

Reaction score
Doing intake and valve cover gasket..any stuff on valve cover gasket..like rtv or just leave the rubber I think with steel in the middle alone??

i like putting a thin coat of RTV on the inside of the cover, and then put a thin coat of grease on the head
that way, they are reusable

the real trick is to not overtighten the bolts
(in fact, i replace them with studs on all my small blocks, put some locktite on them and use nylocks on top)

i like putting a thin coat of RTV on the inside of the cover, and then put a thin coat of grease on the head
that way, they are reusable

the real trick is to not overtighten the bolts
(in fact, i replace them with studs on all my small blocks, put some locktite on them and use nylocks on top)
I also use 1/4" drive socket and ratchet to lessen the likelihood of overtightening them.

I use the blue rubber & steel sandwich gaskets, I installed studs with Loctite & oil the head surface. I have the covers off the race car after every run to check lifter adjustment. I bought two sets & have never opened the second one in 9 years. I found them on eBay of all places & they were 15.00 shipped for both sets.

No sealer needed with rubber coated steel valve cover gaskets... Just snug them...

And have to drill out also!!
1523759779526892832254.jpg

Is that good??damn heavy tho

Last edited:
Sure does
I run some Holleys on mine that are similar
At the time i had access to a machine shop so I just tossed them in a drill press and used a hole saw to open them up

Don't forget to try them on without gaskets first to make sure they don't hang up on the intake...they sometimes need to get notched for clearance

-
Back