Valve cover leak, Help!

-

k3522

Reaction score
I just replaced the stock valve covers with mopar cast aluminum. They look cool but can not get them to not stop leaking. I used the mopar steel/rubber gaskets and think this is the problem or maybe I over tightened them. I don't have a inch torque wrench. What can I get local at say Auto Zone, NAPA or somewhere like that that may be thicker and do a better job. I drove about 6 miles last night, pulled in the garage and boy did it smell up the whole place.

look and see if the edge of the cover sits on the intake runner. i had to grind the lip down at each intake runner on mine

I did have to grind both covers in spots because they hit the runners on my Edelbrock LD340 intake but there is plenty of clearence now, I think. The cover directions call for 95 inches of torque, is that pretty tight with a 3/8 drive? All I have is a pounds torque wrench. Maybe over tightening isn't the problem and they are hitting the intake somewhere. Will take a look again when I get home.

I've owned 3 set of the cast mopar valvecovers,all 3 needed to be grinded down where they were hitting the intake runners,i've had good luck with the mopar performance gaskets the ones that are rubber with the steel core,i've had the covers off and on numerous time,and they never leaked...I always use a 1/4" ratchet when tightening them down,i like to go a little past hand tight..

I had a set of those on my 340 never could get them to stop leaking no matter what i did i finally took them off and bought a pair of chrome Direct Connection covers from Mancini. I'll never buy another set of those cast covers!

It sounds like I am not alone. If I had known, I don't think I would have bought them. The reason I bought them is because there should be less flex and seal better??? The wife just called now I have a second leak, this one is gas from where the fill tube goes into the gas tank. I guess i filled to too much last night. Yesterday is turning into a banner day!

I had to grind mine down and mine were leaking like crazy too. When replacing them with the FelPro Cork ones I noticed on the corner of the Pass side valve cover the washer had got lodged in at an angle and caused it not to be tight. Now I don't know if it was like that when it was leaking but I do know i have a tight fit all around now and will be surprised if i have a leak. I have yet to drive it since though. Waiting on getting a new radiator

Add another to the "had to grind them to clear the intake" list. Even then I couldn't get them to seal up with cork or standard rubber Fel-pro gaskets. I finally got them sealed up by siliconing cork gaskets to the covers then installing them. No silicone on the head side though. Had them on and off about 4 times now and they still seal fine. 95 inch lbs. isn't very much so watch using a 3/8 drive. Like 340sRule said a 1/4" ratchet is the best to use.

You could always ditch the gaskets and glue them on with a fat bead of RTV. They'll never leak, but will be a royal pain to remove. Don't do this if you have a mechanical cam obviously.

I had to grind mine to i'm using the thick mopar gray gaskets with no gasket sealer and no leaks, I've heard that the rightstuff gasket maker is good if yours keep leaking

Thank you everyone. The covers were still hitting the intake. I took more material off twice before final bolt down. Dremel is a great tool. I took Redfastback's suggestion and used Fel Pro extra thick gaskets. I like how they felt as they bolted down. Two test drives and no leaks. Cool.

-
Back