Valve seat question…

-

67autocross

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Reaction score
Anyone ever see this when cutting seats…the dye is bleeding back out after the seat is cleaned…it’s like they are made out of powder metal and are full of porosity….

1B6FAE63-E0BD-4704-ACCA-4BA324960868.jpeg

15A29742-672D-4C02-A88A-E15B692B2B6B.jpeg

Pressure test it and see if there are leaks there. I suspect you are correct in that the material may be porous. I don’t know why it would be but it could be.

Strange for sure.

They just got installed…the box does say China on it so that may be the answer

The die that you're using, is it alcohol based or paint thinner based?

I can’t say that I ever spray dye on the seats before cutting....... so I don’t know if that would be normal or not.

I don’t see how you’re going to pressure test the seat itself.

I will say I use SBI seats a lot and never have any issues with them.

SBI seats that are powdered metal have a “PM” suffix after the part number.

Last edited:
Been a long time. I think PM alloy powder can be pressed at about a 7.2-7.3 grams per cubic centimeter density after full sinter and draw with about 30Rc hardness. Steel is around 7.8 density. PM could very well leach thin liquid or dye as you are seeing, especially in the center of the pressed part where it is typically lower in density than the ends.

If the box in the pic is what he’s using, they’re not PM.
There is no “PM” suffix in the part number....... and SBI doesn’t offer it as an option for that part number/size seat.

It’s Goodson stuff…seats are coming out as there is cracks in every direction

Is it spray lay out dye?

It kinda looks like dye penetrant for crack detection.

I’ve installed thousands of SBI seats in the last 32 years........ never a problem.

I've installed and ground those seats several times,
I don't use die, I use a black sharpie.
But I'm not making seats like yours for the **** I get to work on.
Nice work !

Have a close look at all the cracks in the seats…anyway they have been knocked out and dumped in zee garbage….

7123A413-2C40-4B41-AA6D-FB28513B607C.jpeg

513EF9D8-41F8-49C1-AA50-067C599D0708.png

I’ve never had that happen.

Too much press?

I am a bit curious as to what’s going on here though.
A seat on top of what’s left of an old seat?

1CBE1758-307A-4311-9D9E-E8508A7C13F5.png

What heads are they?

Last edited:
Have a close look at all the cracks in the seats…anyway they have been knocked out and dumped in zee garbage….

Now that they are out, let's see the part # on the back-side of that insert. The box has hand written pen mark changes on it, maybe that's not what was supposed to be in the box. Seen that before...
YEAH, there's an explosion of multiple cracks.

Looking at the first photo with the insert and the last photo without it, what I'm seeing is that the 'crack' you saw was the line between the seat and the head. The 'bleeding' of the penetrant into the developer usually means an overuse of the cleaner. But I'm only going by the photos.

Just incase I read all this wrong, which seat cracked? The originals that are now going to be replaced by the SBI seats OR did the SBI seats crack?

If those come out... then a .002-.010 oversize seat will be needed or weld head ,stake the snot out of it ...something.

Valve seats have been made of powdered metal for years. It works fine. Compressive forces like what a valve seat sees is a perfect application for powdered metal.
My question is: are you using die penetrate to see the valve seat contact ring? Prussian blue or Dykem layout fluid works fine for that.

I’ve never had that happen.

Too much press?

I am a bit curious as to what’s going on here though.
A seat on top of what’s left of an old seat?

View attachment 1715900718

What heads are they?
I think interference fit was just too tight and they cracked on the install…the funny gap is just the bad procomp casting…better luck next time

Are they new heads and you’re trying to upgrade the seat material?
Or used heads with a problem?

I’ve had to swap the intake seats on some BBC PC heads before.
The ones that were in it were coming apart(pieces falling out of them).

My philosophy in those scenarios is to use seats that are “too tall”, and have an ID that’s “too small”, then I can machine it to match the original after it’s installed.

-
Back