valve spring retainers

-

megavites

Reaction score
Please educate me.
I'm trying to get the parts together for a stock 1970 head rebuild with Hughes 1110 springs.
What's the stock 318 valve spring retainer O.D." I see there's 1.5", 1.55, 10 degree, 7 degree??
I got the question into Hughes on using stock retainers with their springs, but wanted to ask
the question here.

Likely they're going to talk you in to there stuff because it "matches" there stuff. ( member they know what they're talking about most of time but they also are sales people trying to sell products)

Just use the matching Hughes retainers and locks.
That would be like putting a new blade on your mower and not wanting to buy the lock washer that keeps the blade from coming off while it's running.

LOL- AGREED.
When I bought the Hughes rockers I went and drank all the Kool-Aid and ordered there extra little bits and pieces. (which actually made harder)

Just use the matching Hughes retainers and locks.
That would be like putting a new blade on your mower and not wanting to buy the lock washer that keeps the blade from coming off while it's running.

LOL- AGREED.
When I bought the Hughes rockers I went and drank all the Kool-Aid and ordered there extra little bits and pieces. (which actually made harder)

The decision is if the "Kool-Aid" makes you healthier or kills you. (your motor actually)
I'll get a little cheaper on some things like a Carter fuel pump instead of an Aeromotive, but parts that keep the valves where they belong is not a place I'm willing to take chances with.

I agree totally and that's why I went ahead and bought the studs for mounting the Rocker rails and they ended up being too long or the holes in my head's were too shallow. anyways long story long - the nut wouldn't tighten down before it actually held the rails down and I had to add washer it was really no big deal but I can't see where it help me I mean they're really only held down by 15 pounds of pressure anyway?
Again that was a different story in a different case and in this case absolutely buy the retainers. But that's why I was always saying be a little wary you don't need to really buy everything every time.

I can't remember, it may have been possible That the washers on the stud where the right spacers for the Hughes rocker?

THe heads I have came bare.
Reading the service manual it says to install new cup seals. This would be the valve stem oil seal, right?
Other than the keepers....I see no other components, like valve spring cup(looks like a lipped washer) or lash caps that I would need.
Is that correct?

Stock (non rotating) is 1.345 od and 1.005 id and 7 degree keepers
Max...I can't find any reference to this size, (I'm seeing 1.375")nor do I see a listing at JEGS or Summit. Can someone link the correct retainers?
Appreciate all input.

The factory OD diameter i have posted is just that. It does not mean that that is the needed size of OD of a valve spring, often the spring OD is slightly larger than the retainer in many applications.

Last edited:
-
Back