Valve springs are confusing me

-

blackhand

Reaction score
I'm in need of some help choosing my new valve springs. I can't seem to find anything that will fit a stock 452 big block head with stock valves. I'm OK with buying new locks and retainers that work for whichever springs I end up going with, but other than that they have to be compatible with stock components.

I've measured my average installed height at 1.845" with stock locks and retainers. I have a mild performance cam with 0.442" intake, 0.465" lift exhaust with 272/282 duration. The spring seats have not been machined and that is not an option at this time so the minimum inside diameter of the springs must be 1.02" and I will have to stay under the 1.845" installed height unless I also use locks and retainers that ad another 0.05 to the installed height. I'm not sure if many of the springs that include dampers will fit this minimum inside diameter and I'm also not sure on the retainer requirements for damper springs. The valves are also stock and are 3/8" with 2 and 4 grooves.

I've noticed that most of the Mopar specific springs have an installed height of 1.880 or more. Are they meant to be used with locks and retainers that add installed height? Or are they just assuming that if you're changing the springs you've also probably machined the spring seat??

I'd love to get these ordered this weekend and get my car back on the road ASAP. Can anyone recommend a good spring, lock, and retainer combo for my setup??

I was going to say comp 911-16 springs.

Good one too. Probably a hair more seat pressure at his installed height.

P.S. blackhand, you don't want to use a spring that's has a installed height rating less that your measurement or you'll lose seat pressure.

Is this the cam you are using? If so they recommend a Crane spring, although a fresh stock spring may work with that cam also?

Ah ha... that is the cam and that's the first I've seen of a recommended spring. The installed heights of my retainers are 0.045" too tall for these but a couple of shims should do the trick.

Thanks Rick!

I was going to say comp 911-16 springs.

Installed height is something like 1.90" for those, I could get it with locks and retainers that add 0.050" to the height. I haven't seen any of those for the stock 3/8", 2 and 4 groove valves though

Ah ha... that is the cam and that's the first I've seen of a recommended spring. The installed heights of my retainers are 0.045" too tall for these but a couple of shims should do the trick.

Thanks Rick!

Your welcome. There's always a little variance on some of the heights anyway so you can shim them correctly and get a nice even pressure across the board. Good luck.

P.S. Just FYI, generally speaking, as long as the're the correct diameter you can use a spring with a little taller installed height rating but it raises the seat pressure some and lessens the distance to coil bind.

-
Back