valve springs - recommendations

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
as it turns out that i will go on further with putting a 5.2 magnum into the 65 B´cuda and let the 273 as it is at the moment and store it away...it leads me to the well known weak point of stock magnum valve springs...

what do the members who drive magnum engines here use ?

what will be the best solution without machine work on the heads ?

cam will be more on the mild side (approx. max 0,500 lift maybe later going forward with a custom grind or a whiplash cam)

so let´s bring out your recommendations, suggestions and experience with valve springs...

(furthermore pls keep in mind that in Germany i wouldn´t have the option to go to a junkyard to pull parts there - you would not find any Dodge Dakota or an old Chevy there)

Hughes 1110 springs/matching retainers, a bolt on ,stock Magnum heads. ( good to .530 lift,on my part. ) Stock locks ,are fine.. Those springs,with a stock 5.2 carbie, oh my.. Tirespin everywhere.

Hughes 1110 springs/matching retainers, a bolt on ,stock Magnum heads. ( good to .530 lift,on my part. ) Stock locks ,are fine.. Those springs,with a stock 5.2 carbie, oh my.. Tirespin everywhere.

What he said ^^^^^

I have a 2002 360 w 4 spd in a 68 valiant sedan. I changed the intake (crosswind) and put on a 750 vac secondary holley carb. I have wore out one set of (rear) tires this summer and had a blast. I was told that valve springs and pushrods were weak. I have not replaced them and continue to beat this thing daily like I stole it. My point is these motors have a nice rumble and make good power with just a intake and carb change. If I was in germany I would drop it in without changing a bunch of crap and go have a lot of fun with it.

thanks for your input...

in the meanwhile i looked out for a new cam, as the original one shows dezent wear on 2 lobes...
(but i cld. not see or feel any wear on the corresponding lifters - guess i will put in new ones to be sure everything is fine)

a motorshop (which does mostly Mopar-Engines) here in Germany offered me a set of new Hughes 1102 valvesprings - and a used roller cam (specs. unknown but they assume lift would be arround 450-460 and duration should be 260 .. unfort. there is no grind number on the cam) which they allready have on the shelf... the cam will cost me 100 Euros shipped to my door (approx 105 USD)

thanks for your input...

in the meanwhile i looked out for a new cam, as the original one shows dezent wear on 2 lobes...
(but i cld. not see or feel any wear on the corresponding lifters - guess i will put in new ones to be sure everything is fine)

a motorshop (which does mostly Mopar-Engines) here in Germany offered me a set of new Hughes 1102 valvesprings - and a used roller cam (specs. unknown but they assume lift would be arround 450-460 and duration should be 260 .. unfort. there is no grind number on the cam) which they allready have on the shelf... the cam will cost me 100 Euros shipped to my door (approx 105 USD)

That 1102 valve spring " recommends" possible valve spring seat machining..",according the their website,R.R... The cam isn't a bad price,@ 105 USD, @ it will be an improvement,big time. (The original Magnum cams,are that tame.) I would stay with the 1110 spring /retainer combo,to avoid breaking the seal on that combo..That cam might surprise you, still a healthy increase duration/lift over stock,R.R...( You could buy it as a core,if someone like Crow Cams, can do aregrind for you, yes you can reuse the original roller lifters...)

okay - tossed the 1102 spring thing... as i cld. get a set of HUG 1110 with matching retainer etc. for a decent price

okay - tossed the 1102 spring thing... as i cld. get a set of HUG 1102 with matching retainer etc. for a decent price

Timo,best of luck.. You will do well.... My name's Timothy in the Queen's English, Timoteo in Spanish . That car's going to run hard, even if you run a stock cam..

I ran the p5007548 mopar cam in a stock 5.2 with stock springs. It had .490-.496 lift something like 218 @ .050 duration. Stock keg intake bored throttle body, tuned hooker headers, and a mopar pcm. That was one mean teen!!! The stock valve springs held up fine in it. Ran 8.80 8th miles with severe traction problems could never get it to hook up. And it weighed in 3700# range

Nothing wrong with the stock springs until lifts start going over the .500 area then coil bind is the problem. The engine above had a 6000 Rev limit and was hitting it at the 1320 traps.

hi Folks... Looks like i´m a bit fucked up now...

as i mentioned above...the stock cam out of the 5.2 is trash... so i took an other used cam, which was offered my from a shop here in Germany for about 100 euros.

now as i have this in my hands, i just took measurements as the shop-owner told me he didn´t have any specs of this cam but it should have somewhat about 0.460 lift.
okay ..if so..it would be not the hottest one but a Little more lift than stock (0.432 lift)

it turned out that the cam i got from the shop, came out of the 300hp 5.9 Magnum, as i measured somewhat around 0.390 lift for Intake and a bit over 0.400 for Exhaust
refering to Ma Mopar it should read 0.387 and 0.401 for the 300 HP cam.

questions is now what to do...

spending more Money an get a
- custom grind (ouch... not easy to manage from Germany)
- one from Lunati or CompCams or Hughes
- or one of those Whiplash-Sticks

3,91 Gears
26.1 Inch Tall Tires
Stock 904 Trans and stock Converter
5.2 Magnumblock with stock Magnum Heads (1,92 and 1,6 valves)
(Huges 1110 springs - stock 1,6 Rockers)
9.0 :1 CR
true-Roller-Timing-set
Crosswind "Air-Gap"-intake
Carburator, what ever it would Need (but 600 and 650 Holley allready on stock)

no power Brakes or power steering

Electronic Ignition with Rev-n-nator-Box and MSD2-Blaster Mopar Distributor

I don't know but I bet it will still make some good power with that crate cam. BTW that should be a long snout cam to run a mech fuel pump and LA timing cover. Lay it beside your old magnum cam and you can see the difference.

hi Folks... Looks like i´m a bit fucked up now...

as i mentioned above...the stock cam out of the 5.2 is trash... so i took an other used cam, which was offered my from a shop here in Germany for about 100 euros.

now as i have this in my hands, i just took measurements as the shop-owner told me he didn´t have any specs of this cam but it should have somewhat about 0.460 lift.
okay ..if so..it would be not the hottest one but a Little more lift than stock (0.432 lift)

it turned out that the cam i got from the shop, came out of the 300hp 5.9 Magnum, as i measured somewhat around 0.390 lift for Intake and a bit over 0.400 for Exhaust
refering to Ma Mopar it should read 0.387 and 0.401 for the 300 HP cam.

questions is now what to do...

spending more Money an get a
- custom grind (ouch... not easy to manage from Germany)
- one from Lunati or CompCams or Hughes
- or one of those Whiplash-Sticks

3,91 Gears
26.1 Inch Tall Tires
Stock 904 Trans and stock Converter
5.2 Magnumblock with stock Magnum Heads (1,92 and 1,6 valves)
(Huges 1110 springs - stock 1,6 Rockers)
9.0 :1 CR
true-Roller-Timing-set
Crosswind "Air-Gap"-intake
Carburator, what ever it would Need (but 600 and 650 Holley allready on stock)

no power Brakes or power steering

Electronic Ignition with Rev-n-nator-Box and MSD2-Blaster Mopar Distributor

That cam is done before 5k rpm read my previous post
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=322309&highlight=magnum+cam

I had Lunati grind a custom hyd roller for $325 to fit my needs. 234/236@50 .495/475 108 lsa 106 icl

My combo is similar to yours except 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mderoy340 View Post
Happy with my new combo, 12.34/108.74 1.75 60'
67 Dart 2dr post all steel guessing 3k for weight. 2 buckets, small custom dash, squirrel cage fan for comfort and door panels is the basic interior.
360 Magnum roller, 9.3:1, OEM magnum heads milled .010, .028 head gasket, stock valves, MP crate motor springs, ported by me at home.
Knockoff airgap, demon 650 DP, Lunati roller steel core custom grind 234/236 .495/,475 lift. 108 LSA/106 ICL
999 low gear set, TF2 shift kit Lockup circuit disabled, Turbo Action 10" 3200-3400, 3.91 SG, 27in MT drag radial, Mancini SS springs, 8.75 axle moved back .75", battery in trunk.
Car is a blast, streetable and driven 50 miles to the track. With cooler weather coming down south, a little more tweaking, and better driving on my part it will only get quicker.
Weather was 55* and low humidity last night, car ran 11.946 @111.66
60' 1.644
1/8 7.564 @90.02

Actually weighed the car and it's 3360 full fuel with driver.
99% sure my carb is dialed in. Still tweaking pump shot cams and nozzles.
I cross the line at 5500 RPM motor still pulling, so I'm gonna try some 26" Hoosier QTPs and see if they let the motor RPM a little more at the stripe.

Lunati cam on left. MP OEM 360/300hp on right.

Attachments

• cam pics 001 (640x480).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 271
I don't know but I bet it will still make some good power with that crate cam. BTW that should be a long snout cam to run a mech fuel pump and LA timing cover. Lay it beside your old magnum cam and you can see the difference.

yes it is a long snout cam.. so i guess my bet is right and the used one came out of an 300HP 360

That cam is done before 5k rpm read my previous post
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=322309&highlight=magnum+cam

I had Lunati grind a custom hyd roller for $325 to fit my needs. 234/236@50 .495/475 108 lsa 106 icl

My combo is similar to yours except 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mderoy340 View Post
Happy with my new combo, 12.34/108.74 1.75 60'
67 Dart 2dr post all steel guessing 3k for weight. 2 buckets, small custom dash, squirrel cage fan for comfort and door panels is the basic interior.
360 Magnum roller, 9.3:1, OEM magnum heads milled .010, .028 head gasket, stock valves, MP crate motor springs, ported by me at home.
Knockoff airgap, demon 650 DP, Lunati roller steel core custom grind 234/236 .495/,475 lift. 108 LSA/106 ICL
999 low gear set, TF2 shift kit Lockup circuit disabled, Turbo Action 10" 3200-3400, 3.91 SG, 27in MT drag radial, Mancini SS springs, 8.75 axle moved back .75", battery in trunk.
Car is a blast, streetable and driven 50 miles to the track. With cooler weather coming down south, a little more tweaking, and better driving on my part it will only get quicker.
Weather was 55* and low humidity last night, car ran 11.946 @111.66
60' 1.644
1/8 7.564 @90.02

Actually weighed the car and it's 3360 full fuel with driver.
99% sure my carb is dialed in. Still tweaking pump shot cams and nozzles.
I cross the line at 5500 RPM motor still pulling, so I'm gonna try some 26" Hoosier QTPs and see if they let the motor RPM a little more at the stripe.

Lunati cam on left. MP OEM 360/300hp on right.

not bad, 12 sec are very impressiv :burnout:

just started a query with

Howards
Crower
Lunati
Comp Cams

and as soon as i left the office and being home again Hughes

-
Back