Valve stem seals----

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
My 67 notch is a survivor with all engine ect original. The oil consumption and smoking concerned me so after some research I decided the engine was ingesting oil through the valve guides. I removed the original valve stem seals and installed new valve stem seals. (in the car) The original seals were hard as a rock and brittle. Anyone done this and can I expect it to help the oil consumption & smoking problem? I have not had a chance to test the car yet.
TIA, Rat

yes, i have ran into that problem with my 318's before...the only thing is if the valve stem seals were hard and brittle your oil pan is probably full of broken seals....my pickup tube screen was covered so make sure there is nothing in the pan so you dont block your oil pump...but it should help oil consumption and definatley the smoking :iconbigg:

Thanks, I thought of the debris issue and I think I got most of it on the change. The spring compressor would take a little bite out of the old seals. Next for me is to re-adjust the valves (solid lifters) and put a few miles on the car to see what happens. Hoping for good things, Rat

The seals should do the trick, but if the oil consumption is still there it might be worn guides.

-
Back