Valve train overhaul....kinda.

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys advice the last few months, my car is all together and running VERY strong. Headers, exhaust, Air Gap, Holley, Mallory.......all done and tuned very nicely. Me and wifey took a nice long drive today, even thrashing the crap out of it a bit. All seemed fine.

The only issue I have is valvetrain noise. Sounds like my old DZ 302 when the valves needed adjusting(solid lifters).
Compression is good and very uniform. I know the engine was rebuilt 6500 mile ago, but the PO had no idea what all was done.

My question is, can I just replace the lifters and pushrods to get rid of the noise, or is it the rockers? The cam is the .508(or is it .509) Purple shaft. Some cams respond very badly to new lifters, and I just don't want to risk wiping a few lobes, but I'd love to get rid of the noise.
Whadda ya think?

What lifters did you use??? mopar?????
What rockers are on your motor??? stock or heavy duty mopar performance???
What push rods?? old or new???

I didn't build the engine, so I'm not sure. I'm assuming they are the Mopar lifters designed for the Purple cam. I have no idea about the pushrods. I'm guessing old, stock. Rockers look like ant other Mopar stock rockers.

I would spend some quality time with a pushrod checker to make sure the preload on each lifter is right. Or simply get a set of adjustable arms and new pushrods (still need to know the right length). It's probably nothing bad but irritating, but I think you're possibly opening a can of worms replacing just the lifters and expecting things to change. Also, it's common for rockers and shaft to be reused, especially in budget builds... This can lower the preload by .020 or more if the rockers and shafts were badly worn. Higher spring pressures increase the rate of wear too.

Yeah. I know what ya mean. High spring pressures with new lifters and an old cam scare me. As far as lifter pre-load, it's not an adjustable thing with the non-adjustable rockers, right? Can't see how.

I spent awhile looking at the cam profile and it seems like the valves are really slamming shut quick. That may be what I'm hearing and just not used to it. Probably just wait till winter rolls around again and have a fresh rebuild done. At least then I'll know what I have. Hopefully I'll get through summer without a catastophic failure. Got a wee bit of a rear main weep that bugs me too. Just a drop or 2, but nonetheless, it irritates the crap outta me.

Oh, almost forgot. Where exactly do the left vs. the right rocker arms go? Each cylinder gets a left and a right or what? Wonder if the PO even got that right.

-
Back