Valvebody question for the Torqueflite gurus

-

SD_R/T

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Ever had one task turn into 4? That's me. Anyhow, I have removed the VB from my 904 (slant six) in an effort to replace the shift shaft seal. No big deal, right? Well....I had the VB on the table and was going to replace the throttle shaft seal while I was at it. Went in no problem. Right as I'm finishing up installing it, I see a little black spring and check ball that have come out of the VB. I must've tipped it at the wrong angle, I guess.

Problem is, I didn't see where they came from and after looking at the VB nothing is jumping out at me as the obvious location. Now I need to figure out this mess so I can complete task #1 (shift shaft seal). Can someone please tell me where these need to go? I had not pulled the VB apart when these things came out - they wiggled their way out somehow with the VB still intact. Although after it happened I did pull the plates apart just to check and it appears all the internal check balls are accounted for.

Here is a picture of the ball and spring in question, as well as a few shots of the VB after I pulled it apart:
1059.jpg

1058.jpg

1060.jpg

1061.jpg

Sorry for the crummy lighting. I looked at the ATSG manual diagrams and didn't see anything obvious that I was missing. I'm not a transmission expert, but I'm guessing this ball and spring do something that I need!

It is easy to tell, Look on the separation plate and you will see where the ball has worn into the plate a little. The spring sits in the valve body with the ball on top as you put the two halves together.

it's not an inside spring and ball
it is the spring and dent ball that
is on the outside, let's the shift lever move
one notch at at time through each gear.
someone will attach a picture

lokk at the rachet shift lever. it goes in the hump where the teeth just barely miss it. it's a little tricky getting it back in. you have to take it back apart to get it in. try holding it in with a thin knife as youi slide the rachet shift lever dawn. oh yea, there is supposed to be a 3/8" diameter ball bearing on the spring in the lower left of the second pic.

in photo #2, there should be a 3/8 ball on top
of that spring,bottom left corner, but it is inside when the two halves
are together....do you have a shift kit installed?
the one i think it is is on the top, about 2 inches inboard of the
center of the shift shaft.there is a little hump(with a hole) and a
pin at the end of the hole.
......show us a picture of the top of the valve body

what he said...i'm a bit slow typing

Dang dude! You don't need to take the valve body apart to replace the throttle shaft seal. Just take the E clip and flat washer off and pop the seal out and a new one in. That does look like the shift detent ball and spring. That spring and ball are for the shift lever detent. Look at the shift rooster comb. The spring applies pressure to force the ball against the rooster comb. Getting it back in isn't easy. You have to put the spring in first then the ball and use a thin wire tie wrapped around the channel the spring goes in to hold it in place. If the detent ball and spring are in place the only other place I can think it might go is the one Bob mentioned. That spring is sometimes a double spring (one spring inside of another) and always has a ball with it on the transfer plate side.

Ever had one task turn into 4? That's me. Anyhow, I have removed the VB from my 904 (slant six) in an effort to replace the shift shaft seal. No big deal, right? Well....I had the VB on the table and was going to replace the throttle shaft seal while I was at it. Went in no problem. Right as I'm finishing up installing it, I see a little black spring and check ball that have come out of the VB. I must've tipped it at the wrong angle, I guess.

Problem is, I didn't see where they came from and after looking at the VB nothing is jumping out at me as the obvious location. Now I need to figure out this mess so I can complete task #1 (shift shaft seal). Can someone please tell me where these need to go? I had not pulled the VB apart when these things came out - they wiggled their way out somehow with the VB still intact. Although after it happened I did pull the plates apart just to check and it appears all the internal check balls are accounted for.

Here is a picture of the ball and spring in question, as well as a few shots of the VB after I pulled it apart:
1059.jpg

1058.jpg

1060.jpg

1061.jpg

Sorry for the crummy lighting. I looked at the ATSG manual diagrams and didn't see anything obvious that I was missing. I'm not a transmission expert, but I'm guessing this ball and spring do something that I need!

I hope this helps......
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/RoadsideJerry/2009-08-01_225636_904.jpg

Racerhog that's a good pictorial. I hope you don't mind I took the liberty to edit it a little to show SD/RT exactly where the detent ball and spring is. Here's my edited picture

Attachments

• Torqueflite valve body 1.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 266
FABO never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks to all who chimed in. It does indeed appear to be the spring and ball associated with the shift lever (for the record, I do have the ball at the lower left-hand corner of the second pic).

racerhog, thanks for the link and fishy68 I truly appreciate you taking the time to mark up the diagram so that I could see it. By the way, I know I didn't have to take the VB apart for the throttle seal, I only took it apart when the ball and spring popped out on the table and I was like "wtf did this come from"!? :D

Tomorrow morning I will attempt to get these little buggers back in. If any of you are ever in San Diego, please allow me to buy you a frosty beverage. Thanks!

By the way, I know I didn't have to take the VB apart for the throttle seal, I only took it apart when the ball and spring popped out on the table and I was like "wtf did this come from"!? :D

If any of you are ever in San Diego, please allow me to buy you a frosty beverage. Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind.:thumrigh:

No Sweat on my end Fishy68 & SD R/T...Glad to help.... Thats what we come here for.... Cheers Y'all

-
Back