Valvoline VR-1 Question

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
Has any body used this? They tell me it has enough zink and Phos. for our flat tappet engines. I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with it. Is there a preferred oil of choice?

Thanks
Tom

I to wish to know! I think I seen that Royal Purple has something if I herd it right..

Not positive on this, but I believe only the off road use VR1 will get you there. I use the regular VR1, and comp Cam's additive, to make sure. I know, we are opening another can of worms here, but if it needs it or not, in my opinion, it's pretty cheap insurance. Replacing a cam and lifters, cost a whole lot more than the additive.

VR1 comes in two flavors. The off the shelf VR-1 is just standard motor oil. The "off road only" is supposed to have the added zinc to protect the flat tappet cams. The only thing that caught my interest is that they recommend oil changes with the "off road only" at 500 miles.

Both of the VR-1 oils are ok. I had the same question and called comp's tech line. I wouldnt spend the extra money for the off road VR-1. If you compare the tech sheets on those two, they are almost the same. comps tech told me you are fine with the regular VR-1

Both of the VR-1 oils are ok. I had the same question and called comp's tech line. I wouldnt spend the extra money for the off road VR-1. If you compare the tech sheets on those two, they are almost the same. comps tech told me you are fine with the regular VR-1

Ill just go with the Edelbrock oil. for after break in and then switch to amsoil.

I run the regular VR1 and have had no problems with it. it contains zink phosphorus. states high level of zink phosphorus safe for flat tappets camshafts.

Been using the Edelbrock oil now for a year...good stuff! It's made by Torco.

Sorry about the hi-jack, was in Napa the other day and noticed that they sold Schaeffer Oil, anybody use it??
I have seen the Schaeffer Oil at our local Power & Rubber Supply, before when I was looking at it on the bottle it stated that it contained zinc. I week by Thursday to get a case to try it but now it no longer says anything about containing zinc so I am still researching.

-
Back