Vapor/Charcoal Cannister

-
I asked slantsixdan what canister might work for my duster and he brought up ACDelco 215-513
I called my buddy at advanced auto parts and he cross referenced it to their supplier and it came back under 40 dollars (plus tax)
I should have a part number tomorrow

It looks like that one only has 2 ports, but the Jeep one has 4.
ACD-215513.jpg

The AC Delco one (above)
Or check out the Jeep one, along with this other write-up about retrofitting a new part: My Tech How-To for the Carbon Vapor Canister - International Full Size Jeep Association

Maybe we could try "Standard Motor Products #CP3045 Vapor Canister", too!

Edit: Doing a search for that part brings up a canister with FIVE ports. Hm.

I didn't read the jeep article (figuring this was going on an A-body)
but the acdelco one I INTENDED to mention (215-153, not 215-513) has three ports
one for the tank
one for the carb vent
and a purge line

unless the jeep has a vacuum activated purge valve build in, I don't see why you would need a fourth one?

Sorry if the Jeep articles are confusing, but yes, this is going on a '72 Valiant, not a Jeep. It just looks like Jeep owners have faced this same issue. I do have a vacuum activated purge valve, so need the fourth port.

if the jeep one has the vacuum purge valve build in it may even be a better option then the one I listed, since that one requires an external purge valve

got a part number/price for the jeep unit?

if the jeep one has the vacuum purge valve build in it may even be a better option then the one I listed, since that one requires an external purge valve

got a part number/price for the jeep unit?

I don't, I just saw some on eBay a while ago that had been pulled off Wranglers I believe. But My Tech How-To for the Carbon Vapor Canister - International Full Size Jeep Association mentions Standard Motors Part CP3045 as a suitable replacement, with mods. Again, this is for Jeeps, but I'm hoping they would function in a Plymouth.

We've decided to buy more carbon and refill our canister to see if that works.

well, since it came up here,
I ended up using the carquest equivalent of the one I posted earlier
it has 2 ports (one tank vent in, and one purge port) and a fresh air inlet

I can verify the part numbers later

and the purge line teed into the PCV line

Yeah, I suppose the vacuum-activated purge isn't necessary, right? Though I think I read that it helps with hot start issues, or starting issues in general.

The purge port (to the PCV) on my canister is small, but the out you have is large, and it says in one of the manuals it should be large. I'm wondering if I have an aftermarket part in there... I bought a small hose and was going to T it into the PCV hose anyway and see what happens.

Yeah, I suppose the vacuum-activated purge isn't necessary, right? Though I think I read that it helps with hot start issues, or starting issues in general.

The purge port (to the PCV) on my canister is small, but the out you have is large, and it says in one of the manuals it should be large. I'm wondering if I have an aftermarket part in there... I bought a small hose and was going to T it into the PCV hose anyway and see what happens.
Look closely on the right hand side of the picture, you can see I put a vacuum activated purge valve in line since the can did not come with one

My purge line is about 7/16th BUT the port on the cannister was smaller, maybe 3/16?

I just put a vacuum cap on there, cut the end off and used it as a bushing to get the line to match my PCV line

Look closely on the right hand side of the picture, you can see I put a vacuum activated purge valve in line since the can did not come with one

My purge line is about 7/16th BUT the port on the cannister was smaller, maybe 3/16?

I just put a vacuum cap on there, cut the end off and used it as a bushing to get the line to match my PCV line

Well, I just pulled mine apart to start the revamp, and come to find out, the vacuum diaphragm is torn. That might explain a lot.

SO, do you have a part number on that inline purge valve? I'm not sure what to search and am coming up with a lot.

CP104
it is a borg warner part, but the part number crosses directly into the carquest number

-
Back