Vapor Lock Question

-

74 DART'

Reaction score
What symptoms does vapor lock give you? Im having problems with my car stalling at times and not wanting to restart, sometimes the fuel filter id dry sometime it still has fuel in it. I can get it to run off carb spray but it acts like the pump losses it prime. Today i was on my way home from work and was caught in 10-15 min stop and go and made a turn onto another street and the car stalled didnt sputter at all just stalled. I thought maybe to float stuck i checked has fuel at the bottom of the filter but no spray at carb, ok i shot it with carb cleaner ran for a second stalled , repeated a few times same crap, filter still shows fuel at bottom only. I went got a gallon of gas poured some in carb and fuel tank. Still same crap. Loosened line at fuel pump to carb has pressure removed fuel filter turned over pumping gas from line. Blew out filter seems ok. Hooked fuel line up with no filter primed carb fired up and ran ok, made it home after 1.5 hour for a 30 min trip looking like an a$$hole stuck on the side off the road with this old beat up Mopar! lol Also forgot i noticed bubbles coming into filter when i let i sit a few min was thinking maybe fuel is boiling? Any sug please help this is the third time this has happened and is making me not trust the old girl anymore.

Not much of a motor head but i believe ive had two vehicles that have vapor locked on me. ive heard that a motor just quitely stalling out can be from a vapor lock but so can many other symptoms. vapor lock is when the gas is so hot it expands in the fuel line so much it prevents fuel from making it to the carb. essentially the carb is leaning out in a way. my current situation is the car runs great with your going down the road and its cool out. on a hot day in traffic or slow speed driving any time the motor gets close to an idle(mech fuel pump not pumping that hard) it allows the fuel to get too hot, i think the large 360 manifolds on my 318 that are 2" from my fuel line are causing it. ive heard an electric fuel pump can solve it because of the steady pressure pushing cold fuel through the line. im going to put stock 318 manifolds on and put a larger diameter fuel line. some symptoms ive had is the motor running real rough and sputtering with backfiring occasionally and once or twice a backfire through the carb. good luck! i hope some other more knowledgable people post here as well to help us both out.

-
Back