Vehicle Collisions Involving Deer

-
According to Geico Insurance, hood whistles are ineffective:
7 Ways To Avoid Hitting A Deer

I would not argue with studies.
But my real world experience is that I drove for years on two lane blacktop through wooded areas.
I used two deer "whistles" on the Dodge.
One under each head light.
I never even saw a dear at night.
Maybe I was just lucky.

I wonder if hood whistles work with other animals, like livestock (range cattle around here are hit frequently)?

The last one I hit was #13, I think! I end up with a few that get peeled right in front of my house. Most of mine were in full size trucks, so not much damage. The most memorable one was a big doe I hit with a 91 Dodge truck. I pulled over, it was dead in the road by a lighted intersection in the country(55 mph zone) Before I could get to the deer, it was hit and drug down the road by a mini-van. Then, a second minivan hit again. The next car illuminated the scene and there was steaming chunks of deer scattered a couple hindered feet down the road. Since it’s a fairly busy road, people continued to drive through and pulverize the thing into the road. By the time I went home that afternoon, there was a blood steaming several hundred yards long down the road. It was there for several weeks before it rained again!!!

I remember the question being asked more than 20 years ago, "What animal kills the most people in the U.S.?" And the answer was: deer - due to car crashes.

My friend Rocky calls deer "Murderous Bastards!" He says it's his duty to kill as many of them as he can, in order to save lives....lol. :elmer:

-
Back