Vehicle speed sensor

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
When doing a magnum swap I assume that some of you (or all of you) don't use the vss. Yes, no? If you are using a non computer trans do you even need it? Or is there some computer trickery that needs to happen?

When the vss went out in my truck the trans acted broken, cruise stopped working and of course the speedo crapped out. Just had me thinking as I mull this magnum swap over in my mind.

Depends on which tranny and engine management system you choose.... If you are going to a carburetor instead of injection you can still make the O.D. trans work with a series of pressure and vacuum switches.

I used the speed sensor from an 89 ram, it fits right in the trans like the old cable drive, and gives the right signal to the PCM. The best part is the cable passes through it so the stock gauge cluster works too, best of both worlds!

Factory or aftermarket PCM? Factory will throw a code without it. Aftermarket you can program your own inputs.

i've got an 01 magnum in my 72 dart with a lock up 904. every once in a while, when you come to a stop, the rpms will drop enough to stall the engine. seems like it's when the tranny down shifts from 1st to idle is when it will do it. i've read that the computer needs to see the signal from the vss to adjust the rpms to prevent this. it's just every once in a while, so i just hold a tad bit of throttle till the car stops. what ralphie did is probably the solution to this. wish i had'nt cut the wires off now. lol. dave.

i've got an 01 magnum in my 72 dart with a lock up 904. every once in a while, when you come to a stop, the rpms will drop enough to stall the engine. seems like it's when the tranny down shifts from 1st to idle is when it will do it. i've read that the computer needs to see the signal from the vss to adjust the rpms to prevent this. it's just every once in a while, so i just hold a tad bit of throttle till the car stops. what ralphie did is probably the solution to this. wish i had'nt cut the wires off now. lol. dave.
I have a '99 JTEC 4.7 Jeep, and that's what it did when the VSSes went bad. Replaced them both and it fixed it. Would stall the engine at times coming to stop, could keep idle fast and it wouldn't do it.

Factory or aftermarket PCM? Factory will throw a code without it. Aftermarket you can program your own inputs.

I was going to start off with the factory pcm. If it throws a code I don't guess I'd know without a check engine light, right?

If it will still run OK I don't much care. I'm wondering if it will run OK without that input.

CE

-
Back