Vent Rear of the Hood

-
If that is a metal hood, No issues.
if it is a fiber glass hood, and a light weight one, with no reinforcement.........
You had better add a couple more pins in the back or that hood will be in pieces in your rear view mirror someday.
But this car is just a cruiser and strip car. As is, it starts rising at about 37 mph, and is firmly against the pins at about 48.

If it has enough force to lift the hood at 48 mph.......think of how much pressure there is at 100 mph or more.

just a fyi

Was there a fella on here that used the cowl vent to feed the carb with air? I have been looking for the engine bay pics from that member. I have a desire to copy.

Thanks!

Was there a fella on here that used the cowl vent to feed the carb with air? I have been looking for the engine bay pics from that member. I have a desire to copy.

Thanks!
I’ve seen that thread while researching this, but I can’t find it now.

Look at the post "Small Block Showroom" The photo is there.Close to the end.

Look at the post "Small Block Showroom" The photo is there.Close to the end.
While that is a totally awesome thread........I didnt see the picture. The member has closed off his fresh air vents (I believe) and plumbed in two 3 or 4" ducting tubes for fresh air to his carb.

I'm a caveman and have no computer skills but it engine compartment was blue and the intake was plumbed where the windshield wiper motor was.
FOUND IT ! post 129 by turbovan.

This is for the turbo piping not for fresh air like the NASCAR since the wiper motor goes inside the car not into the fresh air vent .
I'm a caveman and have no computer skills but it engine compartment was blue and the intake was plumbed where the windshield wiper motor was.

Ya I see that now.

The guy I was talkin about had a dual snorkel setup that came out of the cowl that used the cowl vent for intake.

This is for the turbo piping not for fresh air like the NASCAR since the wiper motor goes inside the car not into the fresh air vent .
when smokey did it, he turned the inside of the bell housing and the rotating clutch flywheel and pressure plate into a make shift turbo capable of 4 or 5 lbs of boost at race speed and hid the duct work threw the cowl/fire wall area and into breather that sealed off to cowl/firewall! so guess ol smokey did the first blow threw carb as well, its all in his book with pics....DWB

If you happened to see my other thread, “Taking it to the Track”, you’ll know that I went Tuesday.
I didn’t get enough runs to try the hood vented and held down. I ran it vented. Through the traps, I could see under the hood, and I could see that the front of the hood was lifting in the center! I’m going to add another hood pin in the center of the front. Yikes!
I do want to try it tied down at some point, to see if it helps letting the rest of it float.

My car ran no different with or with out the hood. So we leave it off to race. It needed a pin in the center as it looked like a pro stock scoop. Kim

My car ran no different with or with out the hood. So we leave it off to race. It needed a pin in the center as it looked like a pro stock scoop. Kim
I could've saved the $400 I spent on the hood if I had thought of that!
But I'd rather have the hood, it is a street car (sorta).

-
Back