verifying fit 72 donor to 74 car

-

jerame_c

Reaction score
I have found a 72 gold duster in a yard. I have a 74 duster.
I would like to use the two front fenders but keep my old hood.
I also saw that the c-pillar pieces (sails?) and the upper trim that holds the headliner in the donor are metal instead of broken plastic.
I am fairly sure i can use the fenders if i take the signal lenses with them but would like to make sure. I have no ideas about the interior parts. Please let me know what you think.
Jerame

I used a '74 fender on my '72. The only difference I could tell between them was a bracket attached to the front that holds the grill attachment piece on the '72. I welded on a homemade bracket to the '74. So, imho, you will just have to cut this bracket off for it to fit your '74.
As to the interior, the sail panels have a very different shape, the '72 is a lot shorter and uses a cardboard sailpanel piece in addition to the metal item. There might be some difference around the quarter window, but I am not sure. I have always wondered why the earlier metal panel couldn't be used.
I can't help you with the headliner item, I don't recall.
C

cool, I will get those fenders the first day I have off to make it to the yard.
I hope someone knows about the panels, if not I may see if I can get them cheap enough to make it worth a try.

Jerame,
As I give this some more thought, there may be a difference in the quarter window latches that prevents the metal sail panel from being used. If cheap enough you might want to grab the quarter windows from the '72 also - that way you could either use the '72 quarters or just the latches?

IIRC, there is someone on here that made a full metal sail panel for the later Duster and started with the '72 pieces and welded onto them. I don't remember what quarter windows he used though. It might have been "Blue Missle", seems like he has fabricated a lot of stuff... might be worth a search or PM to him.

Any other good parts on that '72 in the yard? Got any pics of it?
C

as I recall both doors, trunk lid, hood, front bumper, and the taillights are laying in the trunk. also possibly a few interior bits that are weatherproof.

-
Back