Vert. question

-

pikewi

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Working on the framework for the top on my 68 cuda. The material inside the channel on the rear bow was rotten so I removed it. Anyone know what this material is and where I would get some to replace it?
Thanks much
Pike- the topless

I never thought about it before if it can be replaced or not. It is the same stuff used on the tack strips, kinda like cardboard/punky wood so you can put tacks and or staples in. Try year one? or Hydro-electric top guy that is in Hemmings a lot. The stuff is very generic to the big three. Remember GM/Ford and Mopar all used the same supplier for the convertible top stuff.

I had this problem back in the late 80's the easy solution is to fill with bondo ,my 67 cuda vert has been fixed this way ever since with no problems .

You can get the complete convertible top rebuild kit from Legendary Interiors. The complete kit comes with the header seal, side window channel seals, and all of the tack strip and assorted pieces to restore your top mechanism. I think you can just get the tack strip and other items without the header and side window seals too, but I'll bet your header seal is worn and needs replacing also, no??? Of course, you can also get the top and rear window curtain (either in plastic rear window or glass) from Legendary also, which would really complete the job. They are a top notch company and stand behind their products 100%. I have a top boot from them and it's top quality stuff, just like everything they sell. They also have the well liner too. Good luck with your project, Geof

The guy that installed my top used bondo on the tack strip, so should work on the other too.

The owner of the shop had been installing tops since he was 17 and my guess he was in his mid 60's They did a great job getting it to look like a factory top without any wrinkles or puckers.

When my Dad redid the top on his 67 Dart vert he used a rubber material similar to a boot tread, I dont think he had any problems with it either...

-
Back