Very Hot Radiator

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
hey guys well i finaly went and did a tune up on my 318 which i believe is stock. i got new plugs, wires, cap and rotar, and it runs way better, like night and day. anyway so i started it up to set the timming and such, so i got it set good and such but by the time i was done 10 minutes tops the radiator was very hot, as in you dont even wanna touch it for more then 3 seconds. on the radiator it says 73 duster in yellow, probably from a junk yard. I am looking at getting a new radiator anywas cause it does leak around the cap i can see some cracks i was thinking a universal jegs/summit one, im really confused on how to piece together a radiator and electronic fan and help would be usefull, i prefer to buy a kit that is together, and sugestions. Would you guys sugest i just go buy a new thermostate and cap tomorrow to get it drivable, should that fix it up, also my temp guage doesnt work, i even grounded it out and nothing, i need to hook one up. Got any sugestions on where i can find a new plug that plugs into the sending unit cause i will probably get a whole new wire/plug. If the new thermostat and cap doesnt make the radiator cooler what else could it be the waterpump is about it right, maybe a blocked passage, how do i check if the waterpump is out?

thanks guys :toothy7:

I would suggest you go get an aftermarket temperature guage if you are going to drive the car. You can get them for $20.00 or less at the parts store for an off brand. As far as your water pump not working, take your thermostat out, replace the thermostat housing, and pull the radiator cap off, start the engine, and see if the coolant appears to be circulating. (turbulient)... Hope this helps...

Triggerjay

Few questions from me.

1966 dart wagon said:
hey guys well i finaly went and did a tune up on
my 318 which i believe is stock. i got new plugs, wires, cap and rotar, and it runs way better, like night and day. anyway so i started it up to set the timming and such, so i got it set good and such but by the time i was done 10 minutes tops the radiator was very hot, as in you dont even wanna touch it for more then 3 seconds.

For curiosity, what is the timing set at? Have you looked at the plugs? Possibly running very lean? Ten minutes is a very short time for the radiator/cooling system to get that hot. What is the fan setup? Have you tried running it with the cap off (running it from when its been sitting awhile...cold) and seeing if you can verify that the coolant is moving through out the radiator?

I would have to suggest something like on the radiator it says 73 duster in yellow, probably from a junk yard. I am looking at getting a new radiator anywas cause it does leak around the cap i can see some cracks i was thinking a universal jegs/summit one, im really confused on how to piece together a radiator and electronic fan and help would be usefull, i prefer to buy a kit that is together, and sugestions.

As far as a summit one, make sure you measure your useable area for mounting, the biggest you can fit. The summit radiator is a pretty good bang for buck, anything be-cool, imo, is very overpriced. but maybe thats just because i cant afford one lol. Keep in mind the summit/northern radiators do no come with mounting brackets, transmission coolers, or even drain petcocks. I'm running a summit radiator with a fan off a chevy HHR (pt cruiser things) it stays within range of where it should be even in 105*+ heat. But of course bringing an electric fan into the story also brings up the charging system, id recommend bypassing the amp gauge and such...snowball effect. Depends on your plans for the car down the line. My motor will idle for 15minutes before the fan even kicks on (180* it turns on)...so somethins not right.

Would you guys sugest i just go buy a new thermostate and cap tomorrow to get it drivable, should that fix it up,

I'd go for a 180* thermostat, and you probably dont need a new housing unless its all corroded up. dont forget a gasket, and not a bad idea to replace the bolts that hold it on (we all know about old/rusty bolts right :angry4: )

also my temp guage doesnt work, i even grounded it out and nothing, i need to hook one up. Got any sugestions on where i can find a new plug that plugs into the sending unit cause i will probably get a whole new wire/plug.

A new sender will do nothing for your gauge problems if grounding the sender wire has no effect on the temp gauge. The sender works off a ground. And unless there is damage to your plug i'd just leave it alone. You can also stick a ring terminal on the end of your sender wire and use a nut/lock washer on the temp sender. but again, if its not doing anything when you ground it...there's an issue. you might be able to use a test light/multimeter on the sender wire with the key on and see if there is any voltage going to it (if i remember right its a slight surge in power to the senders). You can, carefully this is OLD wiring, unplug your engine wiring harness from the bulkhead connector (where all the wires are by the master cylinder) and clean the connections, also trace which connector is the temp sender wire and try grounding it there, just to make sure nothing changes. If it does change when grounding, there is an issue with the wire between bulkhead connector and where the sender connector is. you can check the resistance of the wire as well with a multi-meter.

If the new thermostat and cap doesnt make the radiator cooler what else could it be the waterpump is about it right, maybe a blocked passage, how do i check if the waterpump is out?
thanks guys :toothy7:

First off, i'd work on getting a gauge. even wal-mart sells cheap mechanical oil and water gauges for like $10-$15. it may not be the most accurate thing in the world, but you can boil some water and stick the sender in there and kinda get a feel for if the sender is off or not. Atleast you'll have a ballpark, the radiator being too hot to touch for 3seconds after 10mins of running isn't very accurate. :toothy7:

If the t-stat doesnt help, check to make sure its not running lean, there any bubbles in the radiator? water pump could be an issue, if you havent replaced it yet...might as well, it will probably need it one day. better to do it while the car is down rather than once you get it running, and you can check one more thing off your troubleshooting list. dont forget new bolts if you do. (stainless). Other than that, the radiator might just be blocked up, you can try some of that flushing stuff and see if it helps, follow the directions on the bottle.

Good luck, keep us posted. :wav:

wow thanks goody

Update: today i got a ps setup good and working properly woohoo i had to take a pump, and line off of a challenger we have setting here.

anyways today i checked all the wiring and the wiring between the sending unit and the temp guage is fine, it has to be the guage, i checked all the way threw. When i emptied the rad to fix the ps stuff there wasnt much anti freeze in the radiator, so i filled it up with a self made 50/50 mix she was full, i ran it to get the stuff moving threw the motor and added some more. I drove it around my yard haha for a while ran out of gas first off, and the radiator was still hot, i touched the upper radiator hose and it was still cool so i presume no fluids are even running threw it. Tomorrow i will get a new thermostat, cap and 2 fuel filters one before and after the fuel pump.

I was looking at radiators today in my summit, what size of summit radiator should i get and shroud to, the smallest one they have is a gm 25x19x2in my opening is 22x22, wont that look kinda weird with a radiator that bigger then the hole but o well, i am not up for cutting it either, anyone running a summit rad. in there cuda but 67-69, id also like to get a summit alum. fhroud and fan combo to , i presume i am gonn have to get a rad, measure that and figure out what combo i need. Also tomorrow i'll probably go pick up a cheapy but one that works temp guage, i'll probably get a whole autometer setup down the road. I dont think i left anything out, i'll keep on updating you guys, and checking back

Quote: by the time i was done 10 minutes tops the radiator was very hot, as in you dont even wanna touch it for more then 3 seconds.

How many of us,really want to touch a radiator on a car,that has been running for 10 min. Excuse me,but I will pass. I think you need to hook up a temp. gauge,before you do anything else. (temp gauge=cheap,radiator=not so much.) Normal operating temp. on a motor,is way hotter,than you want to touch,for any seconds. Next,make sure your thermostat is working. If stuck closed,replace it. (thermostat=also cheap) Just my OP

I put the Summit radiator in my '68 B'Cuda, I believe it was the one that was 25-26" wide. These are cross flow rads, so the manifolds are on the end; not the top. The fins fill of the hole perfectly, also you can get a petcock set up in the suggested parts section on the radiator item page. Don't get the brackets, you'll have to fab your own. Peace

[QUOTE='73red-duster]

How many of us,really want to touch a radiator on a car,that has been running for 10 min. Excuse me,but I will pass. [/QUOTE]
well it was more of an accident when i was inspecting stuff, i didnt figure it would be that hot from only that long of running. we all make mistakes, tomorrow im gonna go buy a cheapo guage to get my by for now, along with other supplies. Thanks cudachaser for the radiator help, are making the brakets hard, is it just simply bending some sheet metal and some welding cause i could handle that? i'll keep ya guys posted

The brackets I made work but I'm not real happy with the set up, maybe someone else can give you some advise on it; maybe someone knows where to buy some brackets that work. Peace

:angry4: ok update:

first off my upper hose busted so i had to get a new one, and i had to get a universal flex hose non of the ones we looked at would work, it sucks :angry4: but when i put it on i figured the rad. leaks, im just gonna pull it now why i have all the coolant drained, so the radiator is out as of now, when i get a summit alum. radiator i think im gonna get the gm (25x19x2) my opening is 22x22 total this is a good choice right? and i am gonna change the thromostat to a 160 or at least a 180 the 190 gets the motor too hot and it will only be driven in the summer,i aint replacing fender patches soon cause of the dumb salt. o yes and i need a trans cooler, im getting an external one cause i'll probably be swapping to a manual soon. any sugestions, i dont need something really huge or high performance. and this end of winter when i start my engine building class im gonna tear down a 360(dad said maybe i could use his 340) for the cuda. i cant wait. o and shorty i'll be bringing my cuda into my body class to do the quarter pannels on it, that should be intresting i hope they fit better then my fender patches did, which they didnt :angry4: and i still gotta finish the drivers fender...then road ready woooooo i cant wait(by then it will be winter probably :( i'll be very sad)

1966 dart wagon said:
:angry4: ok update:

first off my upper hose busted so i had to get a new one, and i had to get a universal flex hose non of the ones we looked at would work, it sucks :angry4: but when i put it on i figured the rad. leaks, im just gonna pull it now why i have all the coolant drained, so the radiator is out as of now, when i get a summit alum. radiator i think im gonna get the gm (25x19x2) my opening is 22x22 total this is a good choice right? and i am gonna change the thromostat to a 160 or at least a 180 the 190 gets the motor too hot and it will only be driven in the summer,i aint replacing fender patches soon cause of the dumb salt. o yes and i need a trans cooler, im getting an external one cause i'll probably be swapping to a manual soon. any sugestions, i dont need something really huge or high performance. and this end of winter when i start my engine building class im gonna tear down a 360(dad said maybe i could use his 340) for the cuda. i cant wait. o and shorty i'll be bringing my cuda into my body class to do the quarter pannels on it, that should be intresting i hope they fit better then my fender patches did, which they didnt :angry4: and i still gotta finish the drivers fender...then road ready woooooo i cant wait(by then it will be winter probably :( i'll be very sad)

As long as that summit radiator fits between the frame that should be a good one for you. I'd run a 180* thermostat. I drive mine in 100* heat with a 180 and no issues. The summit radiator doesnt have a trans cooler, if your running just a stock converter you shouldn't need a very big one.

How does the temp do down the road?

Do this simple test:
While it's cold, with the cap removed, make sure it's full of coolant (just a bit above the tubes) and fire it up.
Check the radiator for either a steady stream of bubbles or an exhaust smell, if there is neither, then it's a good bet that there are no cracks or bad head gaskets.

You might also have your radiator flow tested, it's cheap and not much hassle, plus some places can do it in the car.
Do all of this, it's better than throwing good $$ after bad for a radiator, only to find out you have a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head.

For the engine to be heating up that fast after just 10 minutes of idling, indicates either drastically reduced airflow or severe coolant flow issues.
I've had vehicles that idled for a half hour and you can still touch the radiator safely.

Oh, be sure you get a NON-ELECTRIC (manual) temp guage, if you decide to put one in the car.
They read more reliably.

Mark.

-
Back