Very rare 68 GTS

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
I was talking to my wife's cousin today and he was telling me about his 68 GTS. It came from the factory with a 273, flat hood, 270 finish panel, bench seats and where my Dart says 270 on the dash his had 273. He said that it was a real GTS because it had GTS on the side of the car. He worked at a Chrysler dealer when he was young so I guess that must be true.

I'm pretty sure a gts would have came with a 340 or 383. There were no 273 gts's

1. Put a sticker or an emblem on a turd.
2. Tell everyone it's a rare 1 of 1.
3. Ask big money.
4. Find a sucker that believes.
5. Laugh all the way to the bank.

In 1976 I worked for a used performance car dealer. Take a GTO, slap Judge decals (79.00) on it. Add 500.00 to the price. Take a 1970 'Cuda with a blown 383, put a 440 six pack in it. Voila, one ultra rare (read expensive) 'Cuda. Who read serial #s back then.
While I was there (6mos) we must have created 50 rare collectors cars. Somewhere down the road there must have been some really disappointed car owners.

Sounds more like a 68 GT. It's easy to add an S in conversation.

But, you never know what happens at the end of the model year or on a Friday or just the length a deanship would go through for a customer or a possible export car that never left.

I mentioned about the possibility of it being a GT and he got VERY defensive telling me that he knew what it was as he owned it not me.

I'm with everyone else. Like to see a build sheet on that. Emblems are cheap and can be slapped anywhere. Either that or whoever bought it new paid for a GTS and got extreamly screwed on the deal.

Most people that get defensive over their car are usually trying to hide the fact of what they know is most likely what the car is. If it is what he claims then congrats to him for having 1 of 1............yea probably not.

Does that mean my 2007 Ford Mustang convertible Mach 1 is a RARE CAR?

You will never see another one like it, unless I make another ....... LOL

Oh wow, Dad's 69 is a 270, originally a slant 6. But the previous owner put a GTS rump stripe on it, is it "rare" now? Lol

A look at the VIN will confirm...I believe LP was GT...LS was GTS. 5th digit would be engine...D would be 273...H would be 383

-
Back