Vibration issues

-
Ahhh. Oops. I always associate the Belfair mall area (of Bellingham) when I see Belfair, Fife would be the closer DLNW location to you.
Did you have all the parts rechecked for balance after they were thrown?

Byron- Not sure if this is useful info so just throwing it out there:

When I was in DLNW they had a loose splined shaft from a 727 transmission they showed me. The end of the transmission shaft has the splines for several inches on the end but it reduces towards the mid-length where there is a raised rib running around the shaft. DLNW rep. explained slip yokes were designed with a smooth counter-bore at the end to make sure it cleared this rib but they said the new slip yokes are shorter and therefore should not need the smooth counter-bore inside the first section of the slip yoke.
Interestingly, the new slip yoke I received from DLNW was shorter than the one already on the car but still had a section that was counter-bored smooth. With the new lengthened drive-line is running smooth but my thought is that a fully splined slip yoke would be even better at reducing play. I would if given the choice go with the shorter design slip yoke without the smooth counter-bore- just seems to make sense (although I may be overlooking something).

They took the old ends of my old one and put them on the new shaft I made so can only assume what I got was good. I plan on going back and doing the high speed balance on it and explain to them my issue and see if they have any recomendations.

I'm getting ready to get the driveshaft checked out and I'm wondering if I'm still to short this is in the car now.

I've appreciated everyone's help and input on this.

20200415_121004.jpg

(all of my posts should have a disclaimer that says: I am not a mechanic :steering:)

Byron Gray- It looks like in your picture the slip yoke has about 1-1/4" of shaft exposed from the end of the transmission tailshaft (*ignoring the collapsable rubber tailshaft seal)

*I am assuming it is a collapsible rubber seal at the tailshaft that is covering part of the slip yoke shaft. (I have a tailshaft seal that does not extend beyond the end of the tailshaft)

1-1/4" exposure of the tailshaft is what I am now running now after installing a longer driveshaft along with new u joints and slip yoke. Working great on a 68 Barracuda with a 340 and 727.

Would be sure to measure with the suspension loaded.

Never saw mention of it, so i will ask. diff yokes that use straps typically have snap ring grooves on the cups. C-clips go in the grooves to center u-joint in yoke.
some yokes have tabs to retain u-joint. If yoke has no tabs,and c clips werent installed, that would explain vibration and u joint failure.

It was on the ground with the suspension loaded. And my u joints have the c clips on them about the yoke I'm not sure if it has the groves or not..

20200415_122029.jpg

Today I ran the car with out the driveshaft in it and the vibration was still there so I'm going to have to go threw the transmission.

Check torque convertor for weights, maybe it chucked one.

You can't do it that way. With no yoke to center the output shaft, it will run off center and vibrate; unless you keep it in park.

-
Back