vibrations at 60mph

-

Dustya_318

Reaction score
727 trans with 489 8 3/4 rearend . . On the freeway around 60MPH . I feel vibrations . Under car . . Is this my drive shaft not being balanced . If it is how .do i balance it back out . . thanks

Did you have a driveshaft made? If so, the u joints might not be lined up right...out of phase. If it is wrong, it should be cut and re-welded correctly. Also check the rear joint to see if it is bolted in correctly, with the caps spaced right on the yoke.

You can balance the shaft by trial and error with a band clamp or a large hose clamp with a magnet or some piece of 1/4 plate,etc. keep moving it until the vibration goes away.

well first have you changed anything lately?I would work from cheapest to pricey!check u-joints for play,loose bolts,pinion bearing slop! thn check alignment of rearend(drive shaft straight left to right)the thing is drive shafts just dont become unbalanced,unless u changed them or lose a weight which is unlikely! i would geta small pry bar and walk from trani-mount back checking every u-joint and bearings for play! bet ya find it there! let us know!

If you changed the ride hight of the car at all it could also be pinion angle, thas what my problem was. ride hight change from worn out rear springs can cause a pinion angle change.

i have to swap out the u-joints in my duster every six months no matter how much i grease them, and it clears up the vibrations when i do, untill they start to wear out again

Angle not correct. If you don't have the gauges and shims, just take it to local driveshaft re-builder.

-
Back