Video of my duster / spring relocation exhaust setup ideas.

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
For those of you who have not followed my build thread over the last 3 years ( link in my signature below). I figured I would post a thread of the video clip I took today for the heck of it aswell as a couple pictures.

Also to give others ideas for their cars incase they have a similar set up as mine.

ok, so Ill give you a run down on my setup. Its a 72 duster and the previous owner had relocated the springs inbound. I installed a summit 2.5" dual exhaust kit and had to run my tail pipes on the outsides of the leaf springs where as factory they ran on the inside between the leaf springs and gas tank. Because of this it made my exhaust exit further to the outsides than I liked....I wanted it to look as though it exited closer to the factory position. To remedy this .....I purchased a set of gibson offset exhaust tips ( a left and a right) here are links to summit incase you are interested.

RIGHT http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GIB-500365

LEFT http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GIB-500366

the end result was exactly what I was looking for. also ,the overall depth of them was about 8" I believe (5" of which w\is the tip length and the rest is the inlet length) this was another deciding factor in my purchase because with the springs inbound and exhaust outbound I wanted as much clearance from the tips to my leaf spring hangers. these tips gave me plenty of clearance.

the "mouth" of the tip looks great i think at 2.75" by 6"

so .....if you have a similar set up and do not want to run dump exhaust or pay to have custom pipes bent up and you want the exhaust to look "right" and resemble factory style rectangle tips....I figured I would post my results as an alternative option.

Also. if anyone is wondering, the mufflers I have are thrush welded mufflers (basically a flowmaster 40 series with a different name tag).

hope that helps some people out. enjoy.

Also incase anyone was wondering ....the tips themselves have built in clamps. and I then used the hardware included in the summit kit to secure the tip to the car. a u bolt to an insulated bracket.

704C870E-897D-4CB9-9F61-2E0C55767549-17869-00000996430C56D1.jpg

F70DF4DE-D773-454D-A5F7-15884240FB4C-17869-000009963FD35BC8.jpg

4956B27B-743B-488C-95F4-D58EA4962766-17869-000009964F08C16F.jpg

yeah i know lol, I had one of my tail lights out because im still in the process of installing new gaskets and what not after restoring the tail lights.

5A7FF515-1EE8-4563-A0EF-D59B7FE153D8-17869-000009964B90025E.jpg

it was running a little lean in the video.....ran out of gas right after the video ended lol. I didn't realize it was that low.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzIndK7cUTQ&feature=plcp"]New Gibson tips on my 72 Plymouth duster - YouTube[/ame]

also I wanted to mention.....some guys in the past mentioned they were not able to run a tail pipe without having it custom bent to fit. I am not sure about other kits but the summit kit ( pretty sure the jegs kit is basically the same) has a connection over the axle that made it easier to adjust the exhaust to fit around the relocated springs without having special bends ( in my case anyhow....not sure if everyone else will have the same or worse issues with their install).

if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to PM me and ill help as best as i can.

-
Back