Vin# Decode

-

fastnos

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hope someone can set me straight. I had a 73 340 Duster I bought in 1982. Here is the Vin # VS29H38192120 I am stumped by the info I get when trying to decode it online. Went to several online sites, and the all say "Export" for where it was assembled.
The car was bought (by me) out in Lompoc, California in 1982. I was told that it might just be a miss print on the "8" should have been a "B" But both the title and the dash vin are the same. the Decoder on this site just says "invalid" for Vehicle Assmbly Plant. Can anyone explain any further? Thanks

MyDuster340 boxburnKCIR (Small).jpg

Got a photo of it by chance? The 8 should be a B.

Barry

Alaskan_TA said:
Got a photo of it by chance? The 8 should be a B.

Barry

As far as the picture, that's it in the picture above..... :sign6:
I have the title right in front of me, and as clear as day, it is an 8. I have looked at the vin plate on the dash and its an 8 also.
Here's another one before I got the stripes painted back on.

MyDuster 340 AfterPaint1 (Small).jpg

The key to your problem is in the fender tag.The car is a export car that probably did not make it to the export market!The build sheet and the fender tag will have the export boxes and export codes to show that it was intend to go to Canada,mexico,europe,etc.Post the tag or email me the copy of the tag to show you the code used,mrmopartech

[email protected]

I meant a photo of the tag. ;-)

Some export cars did have an 8 for the B, but it still meant Hamtramck Assembly plant.

Does the fender tag have an I on it in the second place from the left on the second line up from the bottom? Does it have a VON that stars with a letter?

Photos would help for sure.

Barry

I am working on it @ my brothers house, 4 hours north of me. I go up there about once a month for a long, 3 day weekend. We are re-doing all the bodywork on it now, mostly floor boards and trunk. (He has a plasma cutter and welders too, along with more space then I have here.) It'll be a little while before I can get back to it to take a photo of the fender tag.
It was sitting next to a guys barn for 5 years almost sitting on the ground. Tires had sunk into the mud, and the moisture almost destroyed it permanantly. The guy decided it was too big of project for him and his son to tackle. So I bought it "Real Reasonable!" Complete with the 340 and 4 speed, belhousing Fhywheel, clutch, and driveshaft laying on the trailer. They had put a 727 in it with a console and bucket seats. Even gave me the original bench seat too! I bought it for $1000 less then what I sold it for 20 years ago. Picture is just before we loaded it up. Had a green hood on it, cracked windshield, D. door was changed when he slid sideways into a pole, and floorpan was dented in about 6" too. All that said, I have my old Duster back!!!

700 x 700 Nov06.jpg

-
Back