VIN dilemma

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well I was happy as hell to get this 64 Dart GT convert. Still needs stuff but now I can't drive it. Why?

The VIN came thru on sale paperwork starting with 744 which is 1st 3 digits of the 1964 GT series. Shop manual shows this.

The inspection paperwork came back with 714 starting the VIN which is 1st 3 digits of the 170 series. They took the number right off the car. I guess VIN plates came w/ 1st 2 digits pre stamped cause they are of much differnt and lighter impression than the following ones. Also the plate was painted over by dopes.

But I have removed enough paint and with a bright light at a certain angle I can make out the 2nd digit and it is a 1. So EITHER this was a 170 that someone gussied up to a GT --why anyone one would go to the trouble beats me. OR it was a wrong plate installed when new. I can't think of anything else.

Temporary reg has expired although I can troll around town for a whille

Seller is most apologetic and cooperative... he sold it for his brother. He didn't know and the number they got on a left over Virgina reg which is in my posession is also 744xxxxxxxx So it was that number even before previous owner.

To get the number changed I guess all this has to go back to NY state and start over?

Although inconveneint, I will keep this car till a better one comes along w/ the specs I want. Could be years tho! New top goes on next week.

Attachments

• 2014-10-03 14.41.05.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 155
Well, it can't be a 170 converted to GT because I have learned that there were no 170 convertibles. Factory mistake? Gotta get thru this somehow.

-
Back