VIN locations?

-

Tbone749

Reaction score
I've got a car that the dash was removed and thrown out. Does anyone know what other locations on a mopar that will have the vin stamped on the vehicle. It hasn't been a problem since the car was strictly for racing. But now I would like to restore the vehicle and not sure where to look and if I could get a dash plate reissued for the vehicle. Any help would be great.

If it has the original motor the (VIN) is stamped on the block

/6 is on the right side,below the back spark plug.
V8 is on the right side just below the motor mount.

Body #s on A bodies are located primarily on the radiator core support, towards the driver's side, on the inside of the support.
Depending on year, they can also be on the driver's side trunk seal lip, stamped from the underside.

The number consists of the assembly plant, year and sequence number, example: B 0 100340.
On body stampings the year and plant code is usually inverted to the way it reads on the dash tag, so say you have a '70 Dart with a 340, the VIN tag actually reads: LM23H0B100340

In some of 1968 and some of 1969 engine and/or transmissions can have the full VIN, but the bodies on '69 up ALWAYS use the hyphenated VIN.

'68 and earlier cars used a body numbering system based on the car's S.O. number, which can be harder to VIN match.

Mark.

Body #s on A bodies are located primarily on the radiator core support, towards the driver's side, on the inside of the support.
Depending on year, they can also be on the driver's side trunk seal lip, stamped from the underside.

The number consists of the assembly plant, year and sequence number, example: B 0 100340.
On body stampings the year and plant code is usually inverted to the way it reads on the dash tag, so say you have a '70 Dart with a 340, the VIN tag actually reads: LM23H0B100340

In some of 1968 and some of 1969 engine and/or transmissions can have the full VIN, but the bodies on '69 up ALWAYS use the hyphenated VIN.

'68 and earlier cars used a body numbering system based on the car's S.O. number, which can be harder to VIN match.

Mark.

70 swinger is on the pass side trunk lip close to the middle

I know that they also stamped it on the rear speaker panel on the drivers side. At least I have seen it there on my Dusters and Demon.

It's a 1971 Demon and the dash was tossed many years ago. If I can't figure this out I will never be able to put it back on the street and it will hafta stay a race car forever. It now has a big block and I don't have the original motor, but it was a 340 4-speed car originally.

I know where there is a demon in a junkyard with dash and VIN, but that brings up a legal issue. But at least you could get a title.

I could be wrong but from what I've heard before, I don't think you can get a dash plate reproduced legally. I think you will have to get a new VIN plate from the DMV with a new VIN # like they do with kit cars.

Contact your local DMV / BMV & ask them what is needed to get a state issued VIN. Some states issue the original number, they can find out what it was from the FBI files.

No broadcast sheet of fender tag?

Package tray, radiator core are the two spots you'll find the last 8 of the vin. You won't get the first 5.

Hmm, I've always found them on the driver's side of the bodies, in some form or another, but never seen any (so far) on the passenger's side.
Found more than one stamped on the back side of the frame rail, near where it drops below the cowl.

I've yet to actually see an A body stamped in the package tray area, but it's not unusual that the #s can be in other places, especially with how bored assembly line workers can get.
It would also vary by plant, I would assume.

Mark.

-
Back