Vin lookup?? No Title car?? Stolen? Help me save this 70' Dart

-

Dart_440

Reaction score
I have a line on a nice 70 dart, that has obviously been sitting for a long time. The guy claims he has had it for like 10 years.. got in in a trade.. and has no title. I asked if he knows who the car is actually titles too, claims he has no idea.

Here in illinois we require a title, the car is super super solid and I would hate to see it get parted out.

Does anyone know if there is a vin lookup or something that can be done. I would like to save the car.. but I also can't afford to get screwed on a stolen car or something.

What are my options anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Bryan

Well I know in vt a car that old doesnt need a title. I forget the rule but after some many years old the wont even send you a title when you buy a car and reregister it. I am sure that the dmv in your home state could assist you in a title search for a small fee

I went looking and it appears Illinois is pretty hard on "Private Property Abandoned Vehicles" and especially hard on anything 7 years or older, because at that age they pretty much want it scrapped.
The only title bond law I could find was nowhere near friendly towards acquiring a title.
I'd say take it to another state with a friendlier title bond, lien sale, or abandoned title laws, but if you bring it back to Illinois, it's likely still in their records and it might get sticky, unless you can prove it was never registered after it got sold, then abandoned in XYZ state.

I'm not sure how the places like Broadway and others get around the re-title laws in states like Illinois and Maryland and California.

I know in California the vehicle drops off the records after so many years of being unregistered, but if you don't register it for 3 years and you want to sell it and have misplaced the title, they want half the back registration fees before they'll issue a replacement title.

On stolen car records, I believe after 10 years a car is no longer in the NCIS databases. It MIGHT be longer, but they do go away after a certain amount of time.

Mark.

Take the VIN to a local cop and tell him you are thinking of buying it but want to make sure it isn't stolen and he can check to see if it had been stolen or has any wants on it. If you ask nicely he may even tell you the persons name it is in.

not being a smart alec bud just move down to Alabama, we dont title anything that old. All you need is a bill of sale. Heck you dont even have to have a windshield.

Bring it over here to Michigan, we're close, and for the effort of applying for an abandoned title, you could have yourself a Michigan title. All you need is a cop to look over the car and run the vin to make sure it's not on the stolen registry, then he signs off on it and you take that to the secretary of state office and apply for an abandoned title. In any case, I would grab it before it's too late. In your favor, no numbers or title should lower the [price considerably. Good luck with this issue, Geof

If the price is right, and in the case a title cannot be obtained, it is probably worth the initial price in parts.

Theres a place I found on the net cant remember their name but they are out of Vegas. They title it in Nevada and then you can transfer it to your state. All they need is a notorized copy of the bill of sale and insurance.

Well.... I went to the local police station, all they would tell me is the car is NOT stolen, I got a fair price on the car and it has an 8 3/4 so I am happy.

I am not sure what I am gonna do as of yet.. I think I might go through a title services company. As of right now.. I am just happy this solid car is not getting chopped up. I am thinking about getting a title and with very little work making a driver out of it.

Thanks for all the input.

Good move Dart 440, saving another Mopar can only be a good thing!!! Now on with the show!! Geof

Whatever you do for the title DO NOT try to get an abandoned title for it as that will cause you more headaches than its worth. Instead apply for a lost title and claim that you have had the car for years sitting and have lost the title. Then all you will have to do is write a small statement as to why the title got lost and that will be put in the file with the application. You already know that its not stolen and that it hasnt been titled in at least 10 years so your lost title story will be fine!! I had to do that for my car a few years ago. Good luck. Greg

Well, now that you have it, lets see it!

These are the only pics I have so far. Sorry they are not the best they were taken from my cell. This is right after the tow truck dropped it off..

Photo0297[1].jpg

Photo0298[1].jpg

Photo0299[1].jpg

Nice car there Dart 440.
You should be able to do what they said above, and file for a lost title. Make sure you bring a rubbing of the vin on the dash board. I tried to take pictures, and they won't come out right, But I did bring them with me to show them.

I went looking and it appears Illinois is pretty hard on "Private Property Abandoned Vehicles" and especially hard on anything 7 years or older, because at that age they pretty much want it scrapped.
The only title bond law I could find was nowhere near friendly towards acquiring a title.
I'd say take it to another state with a friendlier title bond, lien sale, or abandoned title laws, but if you bring it back to Illinois, it's likely still in their records and it might get sticky, unless you can prove it was never registered after it got sold, then abandoned in XYZ state.

I'm not sure how the places like Broadway and others get around the re-title laws in states like Illinois and Maryland and California.

I know in California the vehicle drops off the records after so many years of being unregistered, but if you don't register it for 3 years and you want to sell it and have misplaced the title, they want half the back registration fees before they'll issue a replacement title.

On stolen car records, I believe after 10 years a car is no longer in the NCIS databases. It MIGHT be longer, but they do go away after a certain amount of time.

Mark.

Indiana is cool like that. Resident & so old you do not need a title just bill of sale. Then whats neet? They give you a new title! I love this state!:-D

-
Back