VIN matching 68 cuda

-
I have had mine for 25 years. It's an original big block formula-s. Here in Amarillo, there are only a few 2nd generation barracudas.

mr. fcdonateli:

in pennsylvania, creating a vin plate like the one you have would be a felony. you have several options - none of which you are going to like. ever heard of the old saying "what did he know and when did he know it?" unfortunately for you, you are now "aware" that the car you purchased has a fradulent vin tag. as such, you MUST report this matter to the police or you could possibly face criminal charges yourself. if this car was stolen, you are in possesion of stolen property. if the car's title was lost and some nut thought a legal vin could be made like the one you have, any attempt on your part to register and/or license this car will also probably be a crime. either way, the only way you can protect yourself from a future arrest is to get the police involved. you do have a right to immediately get all your money back from the guy you bought this car from. that is a separate matter from the police stuff. you also cannot attempt to SELL ANY PART from this car because - if the car is stolen - ALL the parts are stolen! your car is MUCH WORSE than a car that has the original vin tags but the title has been lost. "someone" has "intentionally" affixed a fraudulent and illegal vin tag on your car. that is a criminal act in all 50 U.S. states. i would STRONGLY advise you to call the police IMMEDIATELY. i have been a criminal defense attorney in pittsburgh for over 25 years and if you had walked into my law office with this story and pictures i would have told you exactly what i just shared. please don't make your situation MUCH more complacated by doing anything further with this car. you MUST call the police. if you have further questions, you can email me here at FABO. good luck
jim coster, esq, pittsburgh, pa

mr. fc...
sorry, but i just saw your up-date. i a extremely surprised that everything is now ok, but if the cops are happy then that's the end of the story. however, i doubt if you will ever be able to sell this car to someone else with this vin tag. i would suggest you not do anything with this car other than part it out. good luck again.
jim coster

Good luck with your car . hope it all works out.

Good luck with your car . hope it all works out.

so, if the tag on the dash, and the title match, (from another state)and you black tag the title while your building the car that came out of a body shop, painted and what not(read: basket case). no fender tag, or at least the wrong one (I think) shipped loose, is there a problem ?? ----don`t know squat aqbout any of this stuf-----------------thanks for any comments------bob:banghead:

I think you are going to be fine now, by state issue re-vin do you mean they are going to give you something better looking to put on the dash? If they do that this should be the end of all questions.

Update... The car has been cleared and is scheduled for state issue re-vin.

Every state has there own rules for situations like this, and one thing to keep in mind, if for any reason someone from another state has proof that it was their car, you will loose it no matter what paperwork or vin you have from your state or how much you spend on it.

One other thing, most insurance companies go by the original vin number to determine what the car is. A state issued vin won't be problem, but it will effect the value they put on the car.

-
Back