Vin Rivets

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I need to re-attach my VIN plate on my dash. Where can I find the correct rosette rivets without getting tail-railed on e-Bay for 2 $%$#@#$ rivets....

No, the VIN plate on the Dash are special rivets. That's how you can tell if someone just switched their plate to a different body.

He probably meant the fender tag, those just use a couple of phillips screws. The dash vin is a bit of a problem. I hope you are not swapping vin plates, you could do jail time for that, its a federal offence to do that.

flyboy01 said:
He probably meant the fender tag, those just use a couple of phillips screws. The dash vin is a bit of a problem. I hope you are not swapping vin plates, you could do jail time for that, its a federal offence to do that.

I'm swapping out the hacked-up dash frame for a nice, un-cut piece. My car is a legit Formula-S with all the correct stampings on the rad. support, cowl, trunk, etc. that matches the fender tag.

Thank you for your concern of me commiting a Federal "offence"....;)

DragginMAster said:
rivets are standard pop rivets ain't they?

If you look carefully at the VIN plate the rivets have a "Rose Petal" cut and their black anodized. I can't even find plain round black rivets. The ones that are factory replacements go for stoo-pid money....

No problem. Since I'm in the video production business I've bought supplies and hardware from them over the years.

Let me get this straight: a person won't go to jail as long as one has the correct rivets. I just reinstalled my vin plate with std pop rivets, and painted them black. My original dash was hacked up, and needed replacement. If mine were a collector car, I might used the correct rivets, but it's a Dart V8 clone. Howard

howco4 said:
Let me get this straight: a person won't go to jail as long as one has the correct rivets. I just reinstalled my vin plate with std pop rivets, and painted them black. My original dash was hacked up, and needed replacement. If mine were a collector car, I might used the correct rivets, but it's a Dart V8 clone. Howard

No...No... What Flyboy was refering to was installing a vin plate into a car that wasn't born with it. Such as re-creating a Formula S out of a 6 cylinder car, or turning a small block car into a big block. In other words, using the VIN from one car on another. THAT'S illegal.

Re-installing the proper VIN on the car it belongs with is NOT a crime. It's just that the VIN tag is usually the second thing Mopar enthuisiasts look at after the fender tag and in-correct VIN rivets are a red flag. That's why I'm probably going to step up and pay $20 for those 2 damn rivets. My car IS a 340 S.... no sense giving the wrong impression that it's possibly a re-tag by using in-correct rivets. There's too many people splitting hairs in this hobby to accept a legit S car would have in-correct rivets....:|

Yup, another $20 on B.S.... and so it goes with the final assembly of a car.

70Duster440 said:
And where did you find them for only $20?

Actually, it was only $12.00 for the 2 rivets including shipping. I was referred to this site: WWW.TrimTags.Com They advertise correct VIN tag rivets for all the major production cars. They also offer a service of reproducing Mopar fender tags as replacements for mangeled or rusted tags. Not cheap: $225.... But there are vendors out there doing this stuff. Now you can see how easy it could be for forgeries.... :sad1:

Yikes.. had a look at that site you mentioned, and came across this fender tag. Fully optioned Limelight Hemicuda anyone? Maybe they dont create or recreate bogus VIN#s but it does say on their site

"Note: We don't have a problem changing paint codes, trim codes, convertible/vinyl top color codes, or option codes. We will not change "STYLE" numbers (i.e. convert Tempests into GTO's, Cutlass' into 442's, six cylinder cars into eight cylinder cars)."

fendertag.jpg

I saw that too. I guess you have to trust people across the board to fill the niche in the hobby. I'm sure there's some douche-bag out there turning a 4 Bbl. into a six pack, or adding a shaker hood, but that's the risk I guess.

Did you find the correct rosett rivits for your Vin Tag? I was surfing around and one of the Cuda web sites has these rivits $65.00 a pair, seems expensive to me, has anyone figured out who is manufacturing these? I cant wonder why a 25 cent rivit is selling for so much money, Has anyone figured out how to duplicate these using a standard rivit and a jewlers file. So heres you task, Figure out how to get these or make these cheap.
Larry

-
Back