Vintage air in a 69 Dart

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
I am seriously considering this upgrade. I have a 69 GTS 340 with factory air. I am tired of pouring $$$$$ in to keeping it going. How hard is this swap??? Do I need a new air handler/heater box or will the new stuff work with the old box? Any fabrication involved? I don't mind doing some just curious how much if any.
I appreciate the input!

i install vintage air in my 69 dart not bad at all--did install vents in dash--knob controls in place of ash tray--they do have vents for under dash--hooks up to stock defrosters pretty simple --i love it i wish i could post pictures no luck have been trying e-mail me i send some pictures

A buddy of mine just changed the compressor to a sanden style instead of the large factory compressor on his factory system in his 1974 duster and it works great. He also changed the condensor and fittings and hoses,

also if your looking to convert to R-134 (which is recommended for price of freon) you need to change the dryer, condensor coil, and lines... im pretty sure you can flush the Evap coil...

also change the ALL o-rings to the green ones...

also if your looking to convert to R-134 (which is recommended for price of freon) you need to change the dryer, condensor coil, and lines... im pretty sure you can flush the Evap coil...

And might also want to put a high pressure cut off switch in.....

And might also want to put a high pressure cut off switch in.....

good call... most the new dryers come with one though dont they?? i thought they did...

also the Sandens are a GREAT product... never have an issues with them... just make sure your running the right oil for the freon...

hard to see under that race hemi but there there...

Attachments

• 100_3508.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN1369.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 308
Don't know, but it is not much trouble to get the hose made with the fitting in it. Forgot about it on my one truck when I lived in AZ, it scared the crap out of my wife when the hose let loose in traffic. Might also want to add if going to 134 you might want to put an electric fan in front of the condenser. The last one I converted blew as cold standing still as it did driving. Little Ranger I had converted would damn near create ice on the vents, temps were in the low 30's if I remember right.

Don't know, but it is not much trouble to get the hose made with the fitting in it. Forgot about it on my one truck when I lived in AZ, it scared the crap out of my wife when the hose let loose in traffic. Might also want to add if going to 134 you might want to put an electric fan in front of the condenser. The last one I converted blew as cold standing still as it did driving. Little Ranger I had converted would damn near create ice on the vents, temps were in the low 30's if I remember right.

we just peice together a kit for our dart... it will freeze you out in our 110* weather and the motor dosn't even notice... we run a pretty large coil so we dont run an extra electric fan (7 blade clutch) with a shroud...

Attachments

• 100_3511.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 324
I don't remember if it is Classic Air or Vintage Air but one of them offers a kit to replace everything under the hood with all the new style compressor and hoses keeping the stock under dash pieces.

we just peice together a kit for our dart... it will freeze you out in our 110* weather and the motor dosn't even notice... we run a pretty large coil so we dont run an extra electric fan (7 blade clutch) with a shroud...
What kind of setup is that?

I never have had to do that I just filled the system when it was low on R12 with R134 and it works fine and freezes you out.

I swapped my 68 GTS factory air over to 134a. I simply evacuated the system, changed fittings, added 134a oil, vacuumed pump the system. Added refrigerant and system has worked great for the past 4 years. I must admit that I rarely drive the car.

I swapped my 68 GTS factory air over to 134a. I simply evacuated the system, changed fittings, added 134a oil, vacuumed pump the system. Added refrigerant and system has worked great for the past 4 years. I must admit that I rarely drive the car.

Didnt even do that just simply added the R-134a to the existing system and it will freeze you out.

-
Back