Vinyl on A-pillar?

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
My car is in the process of getting painted. I am converting a '72 Scamp from a vinyl top to a black painted top. My friend who is painting the car and I are in disagreement about whether or not to paint the front A-pillar black like the roof or body color (GF3) like the car. Since I am switching from vinyl to paint it doesn't really matter which is "correct." But now I'm wondering if someone more versed in Mopar history can educate me about when the factory changed from stopping the vinyl at the roof to bringing it down the A-pillar. Or, perhaps it was color dependent? When I do a google search many of the black vinyl tops seem to stop at the roof but the colored ones go down the A pillar. The duster/demons seem to bring it down more often than the darts, but I see darts and scamps both ways. Was it different on A and B body cars?

Please share your knowledge……….

Thanks, Stephen

Stephen,

I believe your vinyl should stop at the top of the A-pillar. There are little eye brow shaped trim pieces that fit between the drip edge and upper corner of the windshield trim and covers the top edge. Be certain to leave enough vinyl on top of the A-pillar for the trim to cover. (I hope I am making sense here) I recently put a vinyl top on my 68 Barracuda and fear that we cut the vinyl to short at that location. I think the trim is not going to cover the top edge but won't know for certain until the windshield trim is installed. My fingers are crossed.

from what I can find, the dart base cars had the vinyl stop at the top of the pillars through 72, and went to the bottom on 73 up. I run mine down to the bottom on my 72, mainly cause I think it looks better. dave.

Would go to the top of the pillars imo .... are you going to use the chrome trim that cme with the vinyl top?

Would go to the top of the pillars imo .... are you going to use the chrome trim that cme with the vinyl top?

I'm going to bring the black paint to the cowl and use the chrome trim that came with the vinyl top.

My car originally had green vinyl and it went to the cowl. Most of the pics I see of non-black vinyl, it goes to the cowl. The black vinyl pics sometimes stops at the roof. I agree that after '73 the black went the the cowl.

Interestingly, when I removed the vinyl top I found the mounting holes for the trim piece were in BOTH locations.

I have a 1972 Valiant 4door. It has a factory painted white roof and the lower body is black. The top paint (white) stops at the top of the a pillars and there is a small chrome trim piece acting as the border and the rest of the a pillar is lower body color (black).

one thing to point out, the chrome mouldings at the top of the pillars are smaller than the ones at bottom. probably already know this but thought I would throw it out there. dave.

one thing to point out, the chrome mouldings at the top of the pillars are smaller than the ones at bottom. probably already know this but thought I would throw it out there. dave.

Thanks, I actually thought they were the same. I'm lucky that I do t want to change positions!

-
Back