vinyl top question

-

mikess68

Reaction score
OK, I have a 72 dart swinger. I have noticed that some swingers vinyl top goes to the bottom of the A pillar next to the dash, and some stop at the top of the pillar. I have 2 pics of what was reported as surviors and both are different. On mine, i notice that the small piece of chrome that stops the run of the top has holes available on the top, and also on the bottom like you could do either. I personally think the top that comes down thepillar is the better looking but want to keep it orginal.

which way is a 72, top or bottom??

Attachments

• 216_V20111226143352.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 117
My 72 Dart has the vinyl top trim at the top of the A pillar, it had what was left of the original top on it when I got it and didnt have any holes at the bottom of the A pillar.

My '70 Swinger goes to the top of the pillar with two little chrome trim pieces that finish it off niceley.

ok, so if a 70 and 72 are the same, must be the short pillar top. (fyi i did check my old pics and the VT did come down the A Pillar on this one. it rotted off so thought it was orginal, just some more strange things. I did notice some full size dodges with it down the a pillar. Guess Ill just wait till the top comes in and use what ever it is tks again)

tks Mike

My all original '72 had the vinyl stopping at the top. I've always preferred that look for being a bit sportier.

I just ckecked pics of my 72 swinger that I had back in the 80s...it was all original as far as the body went. Original 6, A/C Auto car....it has the A pillars covered in vinyl with the little chrome pieces at the bottom

ok, well thats what this one is telling me. it is punched for the chrome on top and bottom. guess i'll wait and see what the vinyl top tells me to do. Thanks everyone
p.s. i made these in the 70's in mich. and i remember the half v/top due to dirt in the die but did not notice the vinyl top a pillars. i know one thing for sure. I have seen stranger! ex. a 1970 or 71 (getting old can't remember) plum duster 340 black v/t black stripe, white interior, bench, auto, ac, and a /6 ! yep im not kidding. they called it a dealer special order. had the 340 stripe also. all factory. Went to the dealership just 2 blocks down the road from 15 mile rd. (at least a dozen and maybe 50 before it was stopped)

-
Back