Vinyl Top Question

-

olddog12

Reaction score
I have a guy coming to help me replace the vinyl top on my `74 Dart Sport this weekend and may have done a boo boo.
Old top was removed and I sanded the roof down to the steel, fixed a spot here and there, as the roof was sanded down to bare steel I painted it all with etch primer then scuffed that down and painted the roof with whatever automotive paint color was in the cabinet. My plan was to just scuff this paint down and put the new top on but my buddy at Napa tells me the paint i applied wont stick to the etch primer and I should have primed it after the etch primer...Anyone confirm this for me or Ive got alot of work to get done before Saturday!

I have a guy coming to help me replace the vinyl top on my `74 Dart Sport this weekend and may have done a boo boo.
Old top was removed and I sanded the roof down to the steel, fixed a spot here and there, as the roof was sanded down to bare steel I painted it all with etch primer then scuffed that down and painted the roof with whatever automotive paint color was in the cabinet. My plan was to just scuff this paint down and put the new top on but my buddy at Napa tells me the paint i applied wont stick to the etch primer and I should have primed it after the etch primer...Anyone confirm this for me or Ive got alot of work to get done before Saturday!
Read the label on the etch primer. It is primer, as long as the paint and primer are compatable,there should be no problem. Perhaps napa rep had a customer with an issue.

Read the label on the etch primer. It is primer, as long as the paint and primer are compatable,there should be no problem. Perhaps napa rep had a customer with an issue.

Thanks for the reply. The etch primer is the Duplicolor self etch primer, it does not say anything on the can about priming afterwards. As for the paint I applied over the etch primer it was some color match stuff from napa, has a hardener activater built in it that you depress on the bottom of the can to activate it and dosen't say much on it either.

Think I will be ok 9r should I start sanding tonight?

-
Back