Vinyl top troubles...

-

ThogtheCaveman

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got around to removing the vinyl top, but I have run into a few snags. How do I take the trim off from around the rear window, without damaging the little clippy thingies that hold it on? Also, what's the best way of getting all of this cheese(glue) off of the roof? I tried scraping it off with a putty knife, but it is still kind of wet/sticky, so it takes me a really long time to get a small portion off. Also, it appears that one side (see pics) is completely covered in bondo, I am kind of afraid of what lies beneath. Any tips on removal of that? Sorry for so much writing.

DSCF0549 (Small).JPG

DSCF0550 (Small).JPG

DSCF0551 (Small).JPG

DSCF0552 (Small).JPG

DSCF0553 (Small).JPG

DSCF0554 (Small).JPG

DSCF0555 (Small).JPG

Theres a special tool used for removing the trim, try a body shop supply house for one, kind of a triangular shaped thingie. For removing the glue - you will have to experiment with solvents. I'd start with mineral spirits since its not too aggressive a solvent - easier on the paint. If that doesnt work then laquer thinner, if that doesnt work then paint stripper - I like the orange "safest" stripper, its slow evaporating unlike the old methylene chloride based stuff. It'll unfortunately take the paint with it however, so beware. On the bondo - you are on your own, it depends on what its hiding underneath. good luck -

Thanks for the reply! You don't happen to have a picture of the tool do you? Also do you know of any places online that would sell the tool? Some place like year one? My dad took off the trim that goes around vinyl top, but most of those clippy thingies broke, so I just don't want to break these ones, because I am actually going to put the trim back on.

You should be able to buy the tool at most local parts stores. I 'think' mine was made by K-D Tool, I've had it so long I'm not sure now. They also make a straight one but I like the 'triangle' type best, too. It's a flat metal tool with a hook on the end. It slides between the rubber and the moulding and the hook pulls the clip away from the moulding so it will release. You kind of rock the tool sideways a little to pull the clip away from the moulding. It's simpler than I can make it sound.
I have used a razor blade scraper on the glue, works well on certain types. Transtar and other manufacturers make 'adhesive remover' which will make it easier to take off, too.
As far as the bondo goes, it looks like a quarter has been replaced as there isn't a seam at that location from the factory.
Good luck,
Dallas
missourimopar.com

When i took my vinyl top off, i had alot of that glue crap on my roof also. I just sanded mine off, but mine wasnt near as thick as yours looks. I heard that airplane paint thinner works like a charm on removing vinyl tops, but ive never used it so im not sure how well it works.

A tool like this will work. The hook part will pull on the clips to remove the trim. You can find them at almost every auto-parts store (heck even my local Kregan/Schucks/Checker Auto Parts store has them for 12.99, I think under the powerbuilt brand or something).
East wood also has a set of tools here
The one on the left would work also.

p2635.jpg

I recently had the vinyl roof replaced on my 72 Dart. The installer left the windshield molding and the rear window molding in place and was able to remove the old vinyl and install the new top that way. He made the same comment about breaking the clips and not being able to replace them. Of course it all depends if you are planning on putting a top back on. I have another 72 that was originally a vinyl top car, and the molding seems to sit a little farther out than it does on cars without the top.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will have to try my local autozone for one of those tools. I really don't wanna mess up the clips surrounding the window, that would suck! I am also completely afraid of what is beneath all of that bondo! I wanted to cut out some of that rust and weld in some patch plates, but because of the body filler, I am a little confused on how I should approach this now.....I may have to find a junkyard and get some replacement metal.....

-
Back